Why become a member? ×

time to give her a good slap

blind pilot

hey all,

I am confident with pick/finger playing, but never really got to grips with slapping.

I play grungey rock, so the technique is not really fitting for what I do, but.......its something i would like to learn.

Whats the best way to approach this, any links to some good places to start?

Shall I just pick a line of the tube and practice?

I look at Mr king and Wooten etc and it just amazes me and to be honest also confuses me!

is it possible to "self teach" ?

Check out [url="http://playbassnow.com/index.php?s=slap+bass+beginner&Submit=Search"]these lessons[/url]. Start at number 1 and work through to 6! watch out for the pink bass - wife beater vest combo on number 3.

Then practice practice practice! I'm rubbish at slap bass, but have no real need for it. Should probably try to get better though!

EDIT: To include the link!

Edited by allighatt0r

"Funk Bass" by Jon Liebman might be worth a try, comes with a CD and has tab if your reading isn't so good.

It's full of old skool slap lines that would probably transfer over to rock music better than all the fancy double slap and machine gun relentlessness of Vic / Mark's style.

For me, the only tricky thing is string muting (especially on a 5 or 6 string) although if you've been playing with a pick you've probably got that covered already. Most slap is pretty easy with a bit of practice, you'll soon get it up to speed.

Unless you are 12 and have loads of free hours and no friends I have to wonder whether it is worth the bother. I have tried on a number of occasions and it's monster difficult. Offset that against the fact that I have never needed to actually play a slap part then I think I'll give it a miss. Each to their own, of course!!

Agreed - I see slap as a throwaway part of my playing.

It never features in anything I play but if there;s a section of a song where we get the audience to sing or right at the end of an extended ending I may use it.

I'd love to play a Level 42 song to be able to use it to its full advantage but the opportunity has never come up in the last 23 years.

Unless you're in a band doing '80s covers that is making you a living, I don't see much value in learning to play slap. But if it's just for your own entertainment (which slap generally is for bass players, since other band members can't stand listening to it) then Alex Sklarevski's instructional Hot Licks video is probably a good place to start.

Ultimate Slap Bass by Stuart Clayton is pretty helpful

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tuition/ultimate-slap-bass.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tuition/...-slap-bass.html[/url]

has three different sections beginners, intermediate and advanced. also has some cool quotes from various bass players also