Why become a member? ×

More Fretting over Fretless Options

Mykesbass

OK, I have a big case of indecisiveness (if there is such a word). I'm really loving playing fretless but I miss the fifth string, so I'm going to turn my Cort GB75 into a fretless. Now, I know they don't have a huge resale value so I'm not going to worry about what a conversion will do to the price, its just, I quite like the look of it with the inlays. On the other hand, I'd quite like an ebony board.

Long term I'm very probably going to get a new bass, now that I know what I want :) so not worried about fretboard wear. I'm also using Rotosound flats.

Opinions please, de-fret or new board?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

[attachment=55770:cort_bass_009.JPG]

De-fretting an inlaid neck may produce potential 'buzz' areas on the lines of the inlays since the inlay material and the fingerboard wood are likely to move at different rates, so I personally wouldn't recommend it. It's possible of course to coat the board to offset this but I reckon you'll get a better result with a plain ebony board.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='915286' date='Aug 4 2010, 07:30 PM']De-fretting an inlaid neck may produce potential 'buzz' areas on the lines of the inlays since the inlay material and the fingerboard wood are likely to move at different rates, so I personally wouldn't recommend it. It's possible of course to coat the board to offset this but I reckon you'll get a better result with a plain ebony board.[/quote]

Thanks Doc, was wondering if it would give me any tonal problems, but hadn't thought of buzz.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='915365' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:03 PM']Thanks Doc, was wondering if it would give me any tonal problems, but hadn't thought of buzz.[/quote]
Defret it yourself and see how it goes. There's nothing to lose!
It might be ok forever, if it eventually starts to buzz sand it down again!
That's what I would do, but then I am a tight git.

I defretted a board with inlays and there was a definite change in tone as I slid over them, much brighter than the rest of the wood board.

In the end I fished out the inlays and replaced them with some hard wooden inlays which fixed the problem and looked pretty cool.

Coating the board is an easier option but may make it sound less woody.

My thoughts are always with putting a new board on rather than defretting. A decent job on a defret (frets skilfully removed and replaced with "lines" made of maple, say) is a big job that only very talented luthiers can pull off. As Howard has said, the inlays may also frustrate the process.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='916003' date='Aug 5 2010, 02:18 PM']Defret it yourself and see how it goes. There's nothing to lose!
It might be ok forever, if it eventually starts to buzz sand it down again!
That's what I would do, but then I am a tight git.[/quote]

That's actually a pretty good idea. If you do a de-fret and like it then great, no money spent. If you would prefer a new ebony board afterwards then it wouldn't cost you any more than doing it in the first place i imagine?

I recently de-fretted my old Ozark acoustic after getting frustrated at the original fret-job - i just couldn't get the frets to seat properly and it buzzed all over the neck even with a high action
It needed a re-fret anyways (and after removing the frets i saw why, worst cut slots i've ever seen!) and i wish i'd done it sooner, it plays beautifully as a fretless and i cut the nut and bridge slots right down so it's sweet to play. Like "butter" as some unimaginitive eBay sellers say!

• 2 months later...