Why become a member? ×

Radio silence after a sale - worried?

neepheid

I recently sold a bass to someone, not on here but through the classified ad site Preloved. Lots of comms beforehand, buyer paid with bank transfer, I sent it, tracked it, it got signed for. I sent the buyer a message later on in the day it was delivered (last Friday) to check that all was well and have heard precisely nothing since.

The question is, does one just assume that everything is hunky dory (as they'd soon be on the blower if the bass hadn't turned up/been unsatisfactory)? It just nags at me that I haven't had word back that they are happy with it.

Maybe I should stop worrying about the little things in life, but I do seem to focus on details at the expense of the big picture.

No news is good news. It's always nice to hear that things have gone smoothly, but some people just don't do communicating if they don't have to. I always make a point of letting a seller/buyer know exactly what's happening - just good manners really!

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I always assume that no news is good news in these cases.

It would appear that for many, regardless of the verbosity of previous communications, there is no need for further communication once the transaction is over - the deal has been done, time to move on.

I've sold some items on Amazon, for example, and I'd say that less than 1/3 of my customers gave me feedback of any kind - and that's just a case of clicking a few buttons, a far simpler task than writing an email.

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='914659' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:17 AM']It would appear that for many, regardless of the verbosity of previous communications, there is no need for further communication once the transaction is over - the deal has been done, time to move on.[/quote]

Spot on, this has happened to me with sales through here and on eBay, in fact it sometimes takes a couple of weeks for feedback to come through. Sold some cabs to guy, delivery happened, heard nothing for lots of weeks then out of the blue got an email from him saying how pleased he was.....?!

[quote name='neepheid' post='914654' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:11 AM']I recently sold a bass to someone, not on here but through the classified ad site Preloved. Lots of comms beforehand, buyer paid with bank transfer, I sent it, tracked it, it got signed for. I sent the buyer a message later on in the day it was delivered (last Friday) to check that all was well and have heard precisely nothing since.

The question is, does one just assume that everything is hunky dory (as they'd soon be on the blower if the bass hadn't turned up/been unsatisfactory)? It just nags at me that I haven't had word back that they are happy with it.

Maybe I should stop worrying about the little things in life, but I do seem to focus on details at the expense of the big picture.[/quote]
I've had exactly the same, nothing to worry about.

No news is good news!

You'll often find this. People have plenty of comms in the lead-up; then, once they've realised their goal, their interest shifts. They no longer need the comms, and it slips.

Hopefully this chap will be too busy enjoying his new bass to drop you a line.

That said, I do personally like to check back in a week or so later, just to say it was all ok and provide some feedback.