Why become a member? ×

'Correct' order for pedals in signal chain?

Bass Culture

Folks,

Is there any 'correct' order these two pedals should go in, please? I use an EBS Unichorus and SFX-modded Digitech Bad Monkey. Any benefit in either going in front of the other? And apologies in advance if this is a dimwit question that's been covered thousands of times already!

Cheers,

Mark

Try different orders and see which you prefer. With those two pedals I reckon if you put the chorus first then with both of them on you won't hear the chorus because the overdrive will break it up, so the sensible order for those two would be dirt first.

Usually you'll have more options if you put dirt first in your chain, and generally pedals that need to track your playing (synths, octavers) are better off at the very start where they can get the cleanest signal, but as for everything else (delays / modulation / filters etc) experiment and see what you prefer.

This question comes up quite often, I've asked it myself a couple of times. I tend to prefer distortion before chorus, the general concensus is that overdrives should normally come before modulation effects, but I would entirely agree with TNIT, especially with just chorus & o.drive pairing that the guidance should be to try both and see which you prefer. I like the modulation effect of a distorted signal more than the distorted effect of a modulated signal.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='914267' date='Aug 3 2010, 08:51 PM']if its a chorus stompbox they are not meant to go in the fx loop, gain or impedance or something else a bit technical is wrong i am told, :) they are meant to go between instrument and preamp input.[/quote]

They're not [i]meant[/i] to but they can. You just need a buffer between the amp's return and the effect's input.

I like pitch shifters, filters and dirt before the amp and modulation, delay and reverb in the amp effects loop.