Why become a member? ×

80's Vintage Squier Jazz - comments

vmaxblues

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='102377' date='Dec 10 2007, 08:41 PM']Ho hum, i have contacted the seller, no response......so looks like it might be one marked down for experience, i should have known better, dont do ebay after several glasses of good red wine.[/quote]

Just continue drinking it ...

I bought a white Squire jazz in 87 and it was a great bass. Difference to this one was a thin piece of brass banding that ran from the bridge pick up to the bridge. Think thats how they were made originally in the 60`s though feel free to correct.

Sure it was £300 at the time.....

I`m not sure about pulling out of the sale because someone has not listed it properly....might be held against you :)

[quote name='Davetbass' post='102379' date='Dec 10 2007, 08:46 PM']I bought a white Squire jazz in 87 and it was a great bass. Difference to this one was a thin piece of brass banding that ran from the bridge pick up to the bridge. Think thats how they were made originally in the 60`s though feel free to correct.

Sure it was £300 at the time.....

I`m not sure about pulling out of the sale because someone has not listed it properly....might be held against you :)[/quote]

Sounds like that was a Japanese model most likely with an E serial number - a JB355. It was very different to the Korean model in that it was a 60's reissue.

With regards to the plywood issue, it's pretty much impossible to guess without dismantling it. Squiers turned up with ply bodies from 1987 through to the mid-nineties. The Silver Series from japan had the odd plywood body and even some US made Fenders have been reported.

This could be a great bass, regardless of it's construction and what it says on the headstock. The only problem lies in other people's perception of it's worth, and the inevitable effect on it's resale value.

[quote name='Musky' post='102433' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:33 PM']had the odd plywood body and even some US made Fenders have been reported.[/quote]

Have you ever seen a documented case of this? Fender's take is that 'Fender® branded instruments have not and will never be made of plywood'. I've assumed that this meant instruments with Fender on the headstock, but it's not a very clear statement.

[quote name='BB2000' post='102440' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:40 PM']Have you ever seen a documented case of this? Fender's take is that 'Fender® branded instruments have not and will never be made of plywood'. I've assumed that this meant instruments with Fender on the headstock, but it's not a very clear statement.[/quote]

There was a post on either the Fender Forum or tdpri.com by a guy who'd had a Fender from new that was plywood - pictures included. It caused quite a stir, with various theories put forward, but the guy insisted it was genuine Fender and owned since new.

Still, I'm not sure that counts as documented.

[quote name='Musky' post='102866' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:56 PM']There was a post on either the Fender Forum or tdpri.com by a guy who'd had a Fender from new that was plywood - pictures included. It caused quite a stir, with various theories put forward, but the guy insisted it was genuine Fender and owned since new.

Still, I'm not sure that counts as documented.[/quote]

I guess anything is possible with Fender. Half of the fun of buying one I suppose ...