Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Combustion 5

spacecowboy

Let me preface this sale with some words, this was THE bass that broke my affinity and romance with Warwick, it completely turned my bass world on it's head, I have never played anything as easy and as perfect as this, the sound is really to die for, my true story for selling I have just gone in to business for myself after a redundancy and just cannot justify this at the moment, it's a sad time it's my last piece of bass equipment left from a stable that was 4 basses, 2 heads, 4 cabinets big. *sigh* times are hard.

Offers of £950 which gets the bass, protec hard/soft hybrid case, comfort strapp, straplocks, 2 sets of additional strings.

Pictures below, I'll answer all questions, people are welcome to try the bass in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Thanks.

Bought recently from Bass direct, all paperwork included.

No trades obviously. And a good home is an absolute must!

Edited by spacecowboy

I unfortunately cannot afford this and I am sorry to see you sell it but for anyone interested in it I can say that Dingwalls are truly awesome and fanned frets are not only easy to adapt to but very quickly feel better than the norm.

AAWWWW Ben really sorry your selling this mate, it looks amazing and ive been interested in the fanned fret idea for a while now, i hope the new business takes off and your buying more soon, if mike ends up with this, trust me its going to a good home- all the best mate - lee :)

This bass has now sold pending payment.

Will hopefully be meeting Mike this afternoon for the sale.

Cheers for the words Lee, the business will be fine, its a Furniture Design Studio i'm running with a business partner and fellow designer so for the time being were just getting sorted with studio space, workshops and developing the brand and products, just means my other hobby of bass has to take second place, my plan is to pick up a cheap 5 string asap just so i don't go completely cold turkey. But a bass of this quality needs to be played, i hope Mike seriously digs it.

Cheers Guys.

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='911266' date='Jul 31 2010, 02:37 PM']my plan is to pick up a cheap 5 string asap just so i don't go completely cold turkey. But a bass of this quality needs to be played, i hope Mike seriously digs it.[/quote]

Can't believe you're selling your last bass. If you want a cheap 5 you might look out for a Squire Precision Special. (I think that's what they're called). Precision shape with two 'Jazz' pickups. Got mine for £85 off flea bay (though £100-£120 is more the norm) so that on the rare occasions I fly with a bass I don't have to take an expensive one.

Edited by BigBeatNut

Yeah Mike does really dig it!..Great player,feels so comfy, nice sound and THAT finish -was really worried that It would need refinishing, fortunately it looks amazing under the lights..UNfortunately, I can't reach the first fret without exerting myself :) ...If the scale was 33"-35" I think it would be my dream bass[maybe Sheldon will get to see this and build me one]........oh well!.....The search continues.....

[quote name='Beneath It All' post='912042' date='Aug 1 2010, 10:23 AM']Yeah Mike does really dig it!..Great player,feels so comfy, nice sound and THAT finish -was really worried that It would need refinishing, fortunately it looks amazing under the lights..UNfortunately, I can't reach the first fret without exerting myself :rolleyes: ...If the scale was 33"-35" I think it would be my dream bass[maybe Sheldon will get to see this and build me one]........oh well!.....The search continues.....[/quote]

Hey, it turns out I did get to see this :)

We already do a 32"-35" scale on our Super J 5. They are worth a look if you haven't already tried one.

Alternately if it's mainly on the strap that it's too much of a reach (as opposed to on the lap), a set of Dunlop strap pins can be installed with a third flushmount strap pin added to the back of the body. This will make the bass hang more to the right bringing the nut closer in. We've recently done this for a customer and they were really happy with the result. Note to self: next time take a photo.

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' post='913332' date='Aug 2 2010, 11:03 PM']Hey, it turns out I did get to see this :)

We already do a 32"-35" scale on our Super J 5. They are worth a look if you haven't already tried one.

Alternately if it's mainly on the strap that it's too much of a reach (as opposed to on the lap), a set of Dunlop strap pins can be installed with a third flushmount strap pin added to the back of the body. This will make the bass hang more to the right bringing the nut closer in. We've recently done this for a customer and they were really happy with the result. Note to self: next time take a photo.[/quote]
.......................................Welcome to BC and thanks for taking the time to reply..Here's hoping you become a regular contributor...

Thanks guys. I've lurked here on and off for a while. I really enjoy the UK view on things, sense of humour and such.

The guy that we installed the 3rd strap pin for loved it so much he ordered another. This time I took a photo. You've got to be really carefull when you drill so that you don't go through the top but other than that it's pretty simple.

So to recap: by installing a flush mount strap lock pin on the back, the bass will hang to the right by 1/2 the difference. So in otherwords if the rear mounted strap pin is 4" in from the tail end one, the bass will move over 2". This means 2" less arm extension for your fretting hand. Your right hand position will change too which should be consider before doing the mod.

Here's a photo.

• 2 weeks later...