Why become a member? ×

New venture - scooters not pictured

thepurpleblob

Off to jam with some guys on Sunday night who I have been talking to on and off for a couple of years but only now have got it together. They're all card-carrying Mods so it's all The Who, The Faces, Stones, Jam... that kind of stuff. Plenty to keep me busy then?

They reckon there's a space in the market for that sort of stuff. I must admit that I've not seen a similar covers band around here. So that could go either way.

As usual... thoughts and experiences??

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='909613' date='Jul 29 2010, 08:32 PM']Yeh - good point :)[/quote]
Sounds like a great idea - majority of covers bands I see are all Kings of Leon/Muse etc. Nothing wrong with that (as both bands are great) but definate marks for originality with the Mod idea. We stick a couple of Jam & Who numbers in our set (we`re a punk band) and people seem to like that style, so go for it.

And full marks for accepting the challenge of a whole set of Entwhistle/Foxton basslines.

There are quite a few of these about but they do tend to clog up scooter rallies and not so much out in the real world. Except for Jam tribute bands, they were ten-a-penny but have probably lost there appeal for a while as there were so many.

Cheers,

Bootros (non-Mod Lambretta rider)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='909622' date='Jul 29 2010, 08:45 PM']And full marks for accepting the challenge of a whole set of Entwhistle/Foxton basslines.[/quote]

I'm not sure I'm up to it. I'll bluff something as usual. Currently picking my way through some Small Faces stuff - those old low-fi recording make it interesting!

thats what my old band used to do, scooter rallies etc, been into scooter since i was a kid, but the scene is getting really boring at the moment, all the bands are covering the same songs, do something different, get the obscure album tracks in there, oh and dont forget to get some rolling stones stuff in there

[quote name='TheFear' post='909687' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:50 PM']thats what my old band used to do, scooter rallies etc, been into scooter since i was a kid, but the scene is getting really boring at the moment, all the bands are covering the same songs, do something different, get the obscure album tracks in there, oh and dont forget to get some rolling stones stuff in there[/quote]

I'm depressed already :) Nevermind, it's different stuff for me. The Stones are definitely on the cards.... even though I can't stand them personally :rolleyes:

[quote name='TheFear' post='909687' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:50 PM']thats what my old band used to do, scooter rallies etc, been into scooter since i was a kid, but the scene is getting really boring at the moment, all the bands are covering the same songs, do something different, get the obscure album tracks in there, oh and dont forget to get some rolling stones stuff in there[/quote]

I hear ya! The scooter scene has become too mod-centric and is disappearing up its own rectum in a fit of retro nostalgia. As much as I love my scoots the rally scene as you say is tired and full of people who only want to listen to covers/tribute bands. A few of the more decent rallies are starting to have a policy of new/original bands only, which will hopefully freshen things up.

My band do 'Town Called Malice'. It is indeed a challenge, the riff is very Motown but never resolves and it has that punk upfront aggressive quality. Last gig all the audience shouted for us to play it as our encore, which we did. Must have sweated off a few pounds playing that one twice...

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly my curse continues....

One jam which went well I think. Next jam and I get a text as I'm walking in the studio door that it's all off. The drummer (who was behind the venture) "doesn't have time". AND... I'm 25 quid out of pocket because I paid for the rehearsal room time we didn't use.

Great......

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='924645' date='Aug 14 2010, 08:43 AM']I seem to keep having this conversation on here.... you know when you think everybody else is weird and it's just you that's normal??? Ha Ha.[/quote]
Mate, you are not alone. These days, it seems like everyone's an asshole timewaster, irrespective of age, proficiency, genre or geographic location. But enuff whining from me.

I love the wide mix of songs that typify the 'Mod' era(s). As someone pointed out above, there was a strong soul component with a dash of ska. So a Mod set could have quite a nice spread - back-to-back out of 'The Liquidator' into 'Kids Are Alright' into 'Heatwave'. With a chimy Tele or Rick 330 into a cooking AC30. Yum.

Whether there's a market for it is debatable, but I'd give it a go. Now, where did I stash those purple hearts?

I share your pain mate. I'm trying to find a band to play very similar stuff i.e. soul, blues, ska etc. My advert makes this perfectly clear (I hope!), yet I get people emailing me to see if I would like to join their rock band and help them with their 8 minute version of Rockin In The Free World, or join their wedding band and play Scissor Sisters covers! I'm not sure whether to keep trying and hold out for a band I really like, or sell all my gear and take up something less frustrating like fishing.