Why become a member? ×

My final mix on Plux's GCSE ensemble piece

51m0n

Finally finished my final mix (probably) of Bernadette as recorded by Plux and the drummer and guitarist from the Bluesy band I work with, whoi were kind enough to jump in and help out at the last minute when plux' peers let him down. It was done for Plux's GCSE Music Ensemble piece. Wanted to share, and see what you guys think.

The arrangement is based upon the one on Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, but Plux kind of aimed somewhere between Jamerson's and Babbitt's versions of the bass part, in other words he played it how he likes it, which was fine.

I rarely get to track stuff, which I love doing, so this was a real treat. I've remixed it several times, since the one that got handed in, trying to get closer to the kind of feel and space of a Motown recording. Right now I'm liking this version quite a lot.

Jeez, look at all the tumbleweed.....

:)

26 Downloads, not a single comment, am I to believe the community has been rendered mute by the staggering qualities of the mix and playing?

That would actually be a bit of a first :rolleyes:

Edited by 51m0n

Nice bass tone! I wrote a blues tune way back when for my GCSE music (I was only the 3rd year after GCSE's were created which shows my age) which was about having everything reposessed (how the hell a middle class boy from oxfordshire was any kind of authority on blues especially reposession is beyond me) and it was nowhere near as well tracked as that and it earned me an A so I'm sure that'll be a winner.

As a Secondary Music Teacher, I would say "Well done!".

Its a good choice of song and well played by all, but would say the bass is quite low in the mix. The examiner will be listening to the assessed instrument first and may not care so much about the other instruments, merely how the bass sits in with everyone else.

I'm just nit-picking though, it's far better than most students at Y10/11.

Dan (Mr Owens)

Another secondary school music teacher here!

He sounds great and whilst he is a little quiet (you have to really spell out for the examiners) the part is challenging and fluently played. This means his mark will be subjected to a higher multiplier resulting in a better grade, hopefully. He has to be assessed on interpretation so I hope the internal moderator appreciated his nice articulation and ghost notes. It's just not as obvious as a trumpet player being loud/quiet, staccato/legato etc. I'd would have marked him up! The only problem I can see is that he hasn't stuck to a specific part. Most boards require you submit the exact score or recording or both as one component is accuracy. If he has side stepped the trickier bits of Jamerson's lines, and if memory serves he has in places, that's something the examiners will pick up on, and in my experience they don't take to it too kindly at all. If you get to do GCSE/ A level recording again, make sure that the candidate plays exactly what the examiner sees and hears on the exemplar. Best of luck for the end of August and I wish I had the skills to submit such a good recording for my pupils.

• 1 month later...

Sorry chaps, didnt see the replies before!

Well he got 100% for it, and an A overall :)

The mix that went in had a bit more upper mid on the bass to help it with less than excellent playback equiptment.

I think the bass is right on this one if you listen on a decent hifi though.

Anyway thanks for all the positive comments!

[quote name='mrtcat' post='914357' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:12 PM']Nice bass tone! I wrote a blues tune way back when for my GCSE music (I was only the 3rd year after GCSE's were created which shows my age) which was about having everything reposessed (how the hell a middle class boy from oxfordshire was any kind of authority on blues especially reposession is beyond me) and it was nowhere near as well tracked as that and it earned me an A so I'm sure that'll be a winner.[/quote]

Ibanez BTB470 with DR Lo-Riders into a Joe Meek TwinQ, lots of top rolled off, and squished beautifully by the opto compressor.

Its a yummy chewy sound isnt it!

Personally I think being a middle class boy from Oxfordshire warrants its own special kind of blues :)