Why become a member? ×

Squier VMJ Fretless, Squier CVJ or Tribby L2000 fretless?

mashup

Just a quick one people,

I've have recently aquired a USA G & L L2000 (Having sold my Aerodyne Bass in the process). My question is, which of these 3 basses would you plump for? a:-

Squier VMJ Fretless, Squier CVJ or Tribby L2000 fretless?

I obviously know about the L2000, as i already own a fretted version of the beast, and i love her. A fretless would be a really nice edition, but the fretted CVJ does look great. Can any of you people vouch for either of these Squiers? If so, which one is best? Which bass choice will best compliment my new bass? I already have a tone monster, so maybe the fretless L2000 will be too similar. Out of the 3, which 1 would you go for?

Cheers,

Mat

When i looked at fretless basses recently i found that the ones with an ebony fingerboard were far superiour than those with maple or ebonal necks. The ebonal neck on the squier i thought was particually naff sounding. I would assume your budget isnt quite enough but the Warwick fretlesses are amazing if you saved up.

I've got the squier fretless, sounds pretty cool, trying some different pick ups soon though, the seymours are good but really quiet, wicked for a couple of hundred quid!! If you were planning on using it as much as a fretted I would fork out for something a bit more expensive though.

My CVJ is a very nice bass if you like that sort of thing. Tone wise its just not for me (it has Wizard custom wound 74's in it at the moment).
It plays beautifully, and build quality is very good. In fact its one of the nicest basses ive ever played. I just find the tone is a bit soft, even with the better pups.

Im seriously considering getting it de fretted though. Its a nice bass but i dont think ill ever need to use it again, but i have always wanted a fretless so this seems like a good one to mess with.

Hmmm, think ill start another thread about this a is have questions to ask.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Telebass' post='910023' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:50 AM']Here's that tempting link again!

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&cat=new"]New Squier VMs[/url][/quote]

The VMJ is a great option, but I would stick with the G&L, I gig fretted and fretless and have two Fender jazzes, they are a great pair and make it really easy to switch between the two, not that it would be that difficult if I have another fretless (which I do, and that is similar to the Jazzes anyway)
I like basses of a certain neck profile, that of a Jazz, so I tend to stick with basses like that, so that would be the only thing I would consider. I dont know what the G&L neck is like, but suspect it would be more chunkier than a Jazz?

Tony