Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Ahem (again) 'Fender' Precision Bass! FULL Setup and fretwork

Moos3h

[quote name='Moos3h' post='907483' date='Jul 27 2010, 07:29 PM']Hi all,

This is a story of love and loss...

I LOVED this when I first saw it on ebay, described as a Road Worn P Bass tribute. The seller was very honest about it being a, ahem 'tribute' and not the real thing, despite an EXCELLENT job done on the headstock decal (lacquered over nicely) and Fender neck plate. However, when it arrived, the truss rod was seized and we agreed that I would take it to my repairer (the excellent Terry Chapman of TJC Guitars) and the seller agreed a refund to cover this work. All was dealt with and done, feedback left and I bear the seller no malice, he was a good chap about it. However and here's where the LOSS comes in, Terry called me to say that the truss rod problem was fixed (easily solved and freed off) but that the bass had 8 or 9 frets lifting out and required them all regluing and a fret job. As you can imagine this wasn't the cheapest, but as usual Terry did a fine job and it's fantastic now, and I know that given it's been re-done properly, this situation won't rear its head again.

So, factoring in this work which has now been carried out, this bass plays beautifully - but I'm out of love with it, it just happened the day I got my Jazz back from BassKS, nothing else cuts in quite the same way.

So, all things considered I will be losing some money on this, but I can't justify keeping a bass that I won't play and want to get some work done to my Jazz.

So, the details? What wood is it? Don't know. What is it originally? I'm guessing the body was from a Squier Classic Vibe P (the colour is right but the neck is a generic somethingorother) - it's been relic'd pretty heavily but really looks the part (assuming you like the effect, if you don't, I'm amazed you're still reading).

Doesn't come with pictured case, but can for an additional £35 if you really want. Would rather not post this and would prefer it was collected, however I will at your cost if required.

I am looking for £175 for this which is a great deal considering the work done. I would consider a slight discount were you to come and collect and pay cash.

Pictures:

<snip>

Lastly, sorry if this is needlessly verbose but I always feel it important to give the full story!

Cheers,
James[/quote]
That is a beauty James, if I weren`t just abt to have the very same TJC do a respray on one of my Precisions, I`d snap that up.
Tell you what though, from the way you`ve described it mate, I don`t think all the love has gone yet.

Cheers mate, I know what you mean - as anyone who knows me, knows I go through huge bouts of GAS and then get 'the guilt' almost immediately after.

It's very rare that gear lasts any time at all with me, the exception (sort of) being the Jazz that I got back from BassKS recently, having sold it once already and regretted it almost immediately, I know I'll keep it now!

Nice to know Terry has another BC customer - he's a good bloke! When you see him, tell him James from the Natalies was singing his praises online would ya, might get me a few schekles knocked off the re-fret I'll be putting his way soon! :)

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Bassman101' post='907639' date='Jul 27 2010, 10:12 PM']What was it in the first place?

Looks awesome by the way![/quote]
The Natalies - think yr playing in Hemel soon, at The Green Man?

Was intending on going up there to check it out, and try and get a gig for the band I`m in, so will def come along now.

[quote name='7enderhead' post='908042' date='Jul 28 2010, 10:55 AM']Judging from the pictures, does this have a 7.5" vintage radius neck?[/quote]

Is there an easy way for me to measure? If so, I can do and report back!

It's certainly not as curvy as my jazz, but few basses I've played have been!

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='907483' date='Jul 27 2010, 07:29 PM'][/quote]

Has he been hitting it with a hammer? :)

Looks lovely.... in fact it looks so good I think it would annoy me that it wasn't real! I'm not against tributes, but that looks for all the world like it's vintage.

How does it play? I know it's been well worked on, but......

Sound?

Trades?

Hi matey,

I agree, I really think the job done on it makes it look terrific - I know I'll catch some stick from the guitarists in my band for getting rid as they love how it looks!

It plays very well - as part of the fretwork was a complete stone and setup the action is decent and the bass plays very well indeed.

As for the sound, well it sounds like a P really - clanky and throaty when attacking it and warmer and rounder when playing lightly - one thing that always strikes me when playing any P is that you get out what you put in, very responsive to changes in style.

Trades? Unlikely, as I could really do with the cash but Jazzes are more my thing so you may be able to tempt me, but the objective is to clear some debts where possible!

Cheers,
James

Sorry! Been trying to get on all morning properly! ON Hold till Sunday eve!

Sorry to the many who have expressed interest but not been lucky, will offer it around in the order of being PM'd on Sunday if current deal falls through!

Cheers
James

Guest BassKS

Ah James... Jazz did need refretting from the day one I got it from you. I gather this is what you meant by doing "work" to it. It was the comfiest jazz neck I have ever played. My warmoths are like baseball bats next to it.

[quote name='BassKS' post='909206' date='Jul 29 2010, 01:24 PM']Ah James... Jazz did need refretting from the day one I got it from you. I gather this is what you meant by doing "work" to it. It was the comfiest jazz neck I have ever played. My warmoths are like baseball bats next to it.[/quote]

I know mate, amazing neck - so well worth the investment in a refret which I'm happy to do, I'm lucky to have an excellent luthier nearby - I know a lot hate doing work on maple necks!

Back up for sale people!

Confession time - I've emptied my PM inbox today, stupidly deleting the PMs from those who expressed an interest! Please get back in touch if you messaged me before and haven't heard back - apologies!