Why become a member? ×

virtue of thicker cables and speakon connectors

Mark Percy

speakon connectors have greater surface area connectivity as opposed to phono jacks.

thicker cables, like 4.5 have less resistance than thin cables.

replacing your skinny cables, and phono jacks, especially on big wattages, noticably improves the sound.

P.A. guys know this.

so should bassplayers.

use decent electrical solder too.

the old leaded solder is great, and flows out nicely, like an argon-arc TIG weld.

plus, you will have less hassles too.

buy the four pin speakons, as the two pin ones are incompatable with four pin ones, and are not interchangable, and cause trouble.

get an engineer to do your amps, with a preferred hole cutter that works by tightening a nut and bolt to punch the larger hole.

that way there is no unwanted tank cutter filings and swarf kicking around, causing enturbulation, and generally enturbulating the area with turbulence.

cheers, mark.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 04:34 PM']speakon connectors have greater surface area connectivity as opposed to phono jacks.

thicker cables, like 4.5 have less resistance than thin cables.[/quote]
Use Speakon, yes. But no one uses phono jacks for speakers anyway. For the lengths we use to connect amps and speakers wire more than 14ga/1.9mm is a waste of copper, and money. Here again your post is rife with errors. I don't know who you're trying to impress with all these posts full of piffle, other than yourself, but IMO they're a total waste of board bandwidth.

Nice to know that audiotardary spreads to the bass world as well!

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']speakon connectors have greater surface area connectivity as opposed to phono jacks.[/quote]

Actually, compared to PHONO jacks (i.e. RCA jacks, hi-fi type) they don't. Compared to TS jack plugs (the type we're all familiar with as instrument connectors and yes, sometimes speaker connectors), yes, they do.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']thicker cables, like 4.5 have less resistance than thin cables.[/quote]

Well, bully for you, that's a C-grade in high school physics right there.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']replacing your skinny cables, and phono jacks, especially on big wattages, noticably improves the sound.[/quote]

Any sources for this? NOTICABLY? Really? A few hundred Watts into what are usually hugely inefficient and inductive loads can be affected NOTICABLY by an extra mil of copper? Particularly in a live environment, where someone could move any of your EQ controls by a quarter of their travel or more and you probably wouldn't notice in the mix?

Oh, and as I said before, what're often used as loudspeaker connectors for instruments are TS jacks, not phono.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']P.A. guys know this.[/quote]

Yes, yes we do. Because we commonly handle many hundreds if not thousands of Watts through a single cable and have spent hundreds of pounds on the amplifier providing these Watts, and we don't want the connector being pulled out halfway through the gig by someone putting a flightcase on the cable, shorting the amp and making a hell of a noise if not killing it. THAT'S the primary reason I use Speakons (and I basically use as thick a cable type as I can afford, and have NEVER noticed an audible difference between bog-standard twin-core mains cable and supposed high quality 'audio cable', some of which I was given for free :))

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']so should bassplayers.[/quote]

If your amp and your speaker cab have Speakon connectors, use 'em. If they don't, use half-way decent jack-to-jack speaker leads (ideally with a right-angled plug on the speaker end, the only bad experience I've had with jack connectors for bass has been someone shoving my cab right back to the wall and destroying the plug - which would also have happened with Speakons), unless you're putting out kiloWatts. To my mind, having a speaker cable that's thicker than your mains cable is a waste of copper.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']use decent electrical solder too.[/quote]

Can't argue with that.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']the old leaded solder is great, and flows out nicely, like an argon-arc TIG weld.[/quote]

As long as you deal with it sparingly, in a well-ventilated space, go for it. Although be aware that if you're also paying for gold-plated connectors at the same time, that lead-based solder CAN dissolve the gold plating.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']plus, you will have less hassles too.

buy the four pin speakons, as the two pin ones are incompatable with four pin ones, and are not interchangable, and cause trouble.[/quote]

Possibly 2% of bass players will have bi-amped rigs which would benefit from four pin Speakons, and of that 2% maybe 10% actually use that facility (purely speculative figures, by the way, I'm happy to be corrected). I know of very few bass heads outside of the true professional area which offer bi-amping via a four-pin Speakon.

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']get an engineer to do your amps, with a preferred hole cutter that works by tightening a nut and bolt to punch the larger hole.

that way there is no unwanted tank cutter filings and swarf kicking around, causing enturbulation, and generally enturbulating the area with turbulence.[/quote]

'Enturbulating with turbulance'? You're having a laugh now, surely?

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='904378' date='Jul 24 2010, 10:46 PM']As long as you deal with it sparingly, in a well-ventilated space, go for it. Although be aware that if you're also paying for gold-plated connectors at the same time, that lead-based solder CAN dissolve the gold plating.[/quote]

And aren't doing it for a commercial purpose. Also, isn't tin (or whatever else) based solder going dissolve gold just as much, since all metals mix pretty easily when molten, in fact, doesn't tin have a higher melting point?

[quote name='Mark Percy' post='904338' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:34 PM']buy the four pin speakons, as the two pin ones are incompatable with four pin ones, and are not interchangable, and cause trouble.[/quote]

And you're talking out of your hole [i]again[/i]. 2 pole Speakon plugs will mate with 2 or 4 pole sockets. Don't believe me? Let's see what the manufacturer says on their [url="http://www.neutrik.com/uk/en/audio/210_102911/NL2FC_detail.aspx"]website[/url]

Back under your bridge, little troll!

A

[i]enturbulation (uncountable)

The process of enturbulating, of agitating or disturbing.

This word is used almost exclusively in Scientology to describe the creation of turbulence between two terminals. Scientologists who question Scientology are usually considered to be enturbulated. Also, "enturbulate".[/i]

[url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/enturbulation"]http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/enturbulation[/url]

Says it all really. :) :rolleyes: :lol: