Why become a member? ×

Fender USA Deluxe Zone Bass

eubassix

Fender USA Deluxe Zone Bass - possibly one for the collector (I was hoping to keep it as such for myself, but can't really afford to do so) or somebody looking for an exotic, rare, USA, active Fender P / J ('ish) ...??
The Fender Zone was introduced in 2001 for a very limited period/run. It has a slightly lighter and smaller body than standard Fender basses. The American Deluxe Zone Bass features Fender's Special Design humbucking/soapbar pickups, powered by an 18V active 3-band preamp 18-volt power supply (2x 9V. Batteries) and unique circuitry designed to enhance the instrument’s natural sound and tonal range. It has a sleek(er) 'P' design and stunning multi-laminate construction - crafted with layers of exotic tone woods—maple/walnut/alder, and features a lightweight downsized body, abalone inlays and a sculpted heel, with Rosewood fret board and mother of pearl fret markers.
No Scratches marks or dings. Immaculate condition. Dual Humbuckers, Gold plated hardware, original C& G vintage brown leather case made in USA. Also Includes: Labels and Tags, Fender truss rod key. genuine Fender strap, owner’s manual, original fender guitar lead and spare gold plated hardware.
There's one currently on ebay - it's one of the less attractive (?) and darker sounding walnut versions. And it's certainly not mint.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400136299149&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]
This is just like a new bass, and has the nicest example of Flame top/back I've seen. They were originally c. £1700 - the build quality suggests that they might have been built in the custom shop...

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='flychris' post='901349' date='Jul 21 2010, 09:48 PM']Wow, I have to admit that I like it ![/quote]

merci beaucoup ! .... it's actually worth checking out some of the USA/ebay description (in Bold-Red type, for some reason) as it provides some background to the concept & development of the Zone bass :-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400136299149&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

ive played one of these and they are smokin..not custom shop though,as you prob know anyway...although there were only out for a ltd period...as close as CS as you can get.....lovely lovely bass..ave a bump

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='903828' date='Jul 24 2010, 10:31 AM']ive played one of these and they are smokin..not custom shop though,as you prob know anyway...although there were only out for a ltd period...as close as CS as you can get.....lovely lovely bass..ave a bump[/quote]

Thanks Andrew ... I wasn't sure re. the Custom Shop reference (as I'm not sure how the CS works in relation to std. USA Fender/s ?) .. but it's the only Fender build level (i.e. top-notch / 0-issues) I had to compare.
Here's what they (Fender) had to say about it at the time:-

"This is a very ambitious step for Fender basses," says Richard McDonald, vice president of electric guitars for Fender. "We’ve put a great deal of effort over the past few years in finding out exactly what players want in a contemporary bass. What we’ve come up with is this new line of Zone basses, and we are very proud of the results."
The American Deluxe Zone Bass is one of Fender’s first ventures into the realm of exotic wood basses, offering a choice of either a [b]highly figured maple top over alder[/b], or a walnut top over mahogany. Engineers in Fender’s Research and Development have spent the last two years designing an entirely new electronic platform to match and maximize the tonal characteristics of each of the options, including new hum canceling pickups designed to increase the low frequency response and extend the upper frequency range.
Both neck and bridge pickups are designed with ferrous steel pole pieces contained within the core of each bobbin. They are driven with low-profile, wide area ceramic magnets located at the base of each pickup, with the ceramic magnets offering optimal strength and excellent string transfer characteristics that result in incredible clarity and articulation.
The unique sonic nature of the exotic woods and their body mass require electronics that can bring the most out of these instruments. To accommodate this, the new American Deluxe Bass circuit is tweaked at the input stage - pre-shape, boost and EQ settings - to match and compliment the instrument’s characteristics.
The Bass frequencies are centered at 40Hz± 12db with a 4db per octave slope, while the Treble is centered at 8 kHz± 10db with a 2db per octave slope, with the Treble cut working as a more passive control for warm, organic tones. The Mid control is centered at 500Hz± 10db and -15db, with a wide-band slope to bring out the growl and new distinctive voices of the electronics. The circuit is powered by a new 18 Volt supply.
The bridge on the American Deluxe Zone Bass is deluxe chrome plated steel. The maple neck is C-shaped has a 34" scale, 9.5" radius with a rosewood fingerboard and 22 frets. This bass is made at Fender’s state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Corona, California

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='FLoydElgar' post='910225' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:14 PM']If this was a 5 stringer mate I'd have it off of you ages ago![/quote]

... don't think they did the dlx/USA version as a 5, unfortunately, but there was a 5 Zone on the later/cheaper (MIM, I think) versions; no longer produced (again, I think) but might find a used one somewhere....

[quote name='lozbass' post='911777' date='Aug 1 2010, 11:28 AM']Hi, is it a 1.625" nut width?[/quote]

No it's 1.5" (string spacing @ 9mm/Nut and 19mm/Bridge - althought there are the x3 options on the bridge saddles) - more of a Jazz neck than a 'P' ... I think this was part of the slimmer. lighter concept.

[quote name='FLoydElgar' post='910225' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:14 PM']If this was a 5 stringer mate I'd have it off of you ages ago![/quote]

.. here you go, coincidentally :-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260644727762&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

.. you can see the difference in origin/specs/quality/components
(still quite expensive though!).

[quote name='FLoydElgar' post='913749' date='Aug 3 2010, 12:26 PM']That Fiver looks... odd... Somehow... Not right!
Ha.[/quote]

TBH I always find P5's a bit odd looking: doesn't seem to suit the P so well as the J design. Might look a bit better with an ebony board, quilted maple top (etc. etc.) - of course !!