Why become a member? ×

Slappers!

Marvin

Hmmm, well I spent this evening putting in some practice, not all slap, and it sort comes in fits and bursts - sort of 4 notes followed by pregnant pause then f@ck up. I say 4 notes, but 2 are dead, bit like me, in fact most of the time all the 'notes' I think I deadened them. Sure is going to take some practice. :)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Doddy' post='901436' date='Jul 21 2010, 11:02 PM']Not a fan then? :rolleyes:

You may not like Caron's music,but for my money he has possibly the best slap technique anywhere.[/quote]

If I remember rightly, which is rare, I think silddx referred to the thought of listening to Mr Caron's music made his penis shrivel. So probably not a fan. :)

Les Claypool, Stuart Hamm and Marcus Miller are top in my slap list.
Victor Wooten yes but, in small doses these days. It's worth learning to gain double thump tho, which I think has way more uses than Wooten gives it, I'm still expanding on it to this day (being able to play triplets without using finger style for example for different dynamic play).

[quote name='Marvin' post='901453' date='Jul 21 2010, 11:21 PM']Hmmm, well I spent this evening putting in some practice, not all slap, and it sort comes in fits and bursts - sort of 4 notes followed by pregnant pause then f@ck up. I say 4 notes, but 2 are dead, bit like me, in fact most of the time all the 'notes' I think I deadened them. Sure is going to take some practice. :)[/quote]

Keep going Marvin, small chunks at a time.......................................unless it's dairy milk...........then it's the whole lot in one go.

Depends if you want to make it a feature or a fill.

I prefer the latter...but this will be harder to learn as by the time you have heard it, it has gone.

For riffs, Pops Popwell on his mod P-bass and his early Crusaders stuff has technique AND feel.
You can't ignore Miller in this genre whether you like it or not..

I think Randy Jackson is great at making it work in a track and he does not get over complicated
DKMarlow is great at getting the techniques across if you have difficulty breaking it down..

If you can ever get Jeff Berlin on it..5 G, for example...that is getting pretty advanced and as always with Berlin, he makes it look so damn easy.

Washington and Will Lee do it more for the groove than the pyros, IMO..