Why become a member? ×

Tip of my lead is stuck in my amp!!

BassNovice

I was practicing when I finisished I went to take my lead out only to find the tip is stuck in the socket..Can anybody give me advice on this...is it something u can repair yourself ..I'm kind of new to bass so don't realy want to be taking a bass amp apart..I have a laney rb2 30w bass amp!!!!

Any help would b appeiciated!!

Did you buy your gear as a pack? You could take it back to the shop & ask for a replacement if it's less than 5 years.

Or you could Google how to take it apart as it might be like my wee Vox where you unscrew the carry handle & the amp just slides out.

Then buy a decent lead & either bin or return the crappy one that fell apart for a refund.

Sarah, that's shocking! :)

Edited by xgsjx

BN you are looking to get inside the top part of the amp. The tricky bit is that Laney probably don't expect you to ever do this so it may not be easy. Is there a back or front panel that comes off? If you can see across the circuit board look for the metal clips of the sockets and the one with your lead in it. You may be able to push it out with a stick/pencil or similar. Beware pranging the circuit board and make sure it's unplugged.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='900842' date='Jul 21 2010, 11:43 AM']I'm sure I've heard before someone saying that all you need is a magnet on a stick. If you have a thin screwdriver with a magnetised tip, maybe that's worth a go?

S.P.[/quote]

If it is gripped tight enough to pull the end off the jack, this doesn't sound hopeful.

You might be able to get it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, careful not to scratch or bend anything inside though! Also, to echo what others have said TURN IT OFF FIRST!! If you don't feel like you want to do anything, take it to a shop, should be easy enough for them to sort it out.

Its simple enough on the previous model AFAIR, but the RB shouldnt be too different. Some inputs are totally enclosed in plastic however and getting to the problem may not be possible. Unscrew the plastic corners and the holding bolts from the top of the amp. The covering may have to be slit to get the top off. The head of the combo is usually bolted on the inside and wont drop down into the cab. Unscrew the input in question from the front panel to see of the lodged tip can be removed.

[quote name='Mog' post='900868' date='Jul 21 2010, 12:15 PM']Its simple enough on the previous model AFAIR, but the RB shouldnt be too different. Some inputs are totally enclosed in plastic however and getting to the problem may not be possible. Unscrew the plastic corners and the holding bolts from the top of the amp. The covering may have to be slit to get the top off. The head of the combo is usually bolted on the inside and wont drop down into the cab. Unscrew the input in question from the front panel to see of the lodged tip can be removed.[/quote]

This exact same problem came up recently on another forum I go on. Answers varied even more than here, eventually the owner got it out a lot of twiddling around with a screwdriver in the socket. One suggestion was to stick some thick strong glue onto the tip of the other end of the now knackered lead, eg. Araldite.

Personally I'd go for the strip down as mentioned by Mog above, take your time & take pics at every step of the way before you take anything apart so that you know where things were. ALSO, not only have it switched off, but have it switched off for a long time - a few hours - before you touch it, in case of residual current left in it.