Why become a member? ×

Feeler: 1983 Stingray, mint condition

Jakobus22

I might sell my 1983 Stingray. As you can see it's in mint condition. It has a two band EQ, original bridge with string dampers and a birdseye maple neck. But I'm not sure how much I might ask for this bass, which is pretty important in terms of selling. It comes with a hard case.

Here's a pic:

I'm based in the Netherlands; shipping is not a problem.

Edited by Jakobus22

[quote name='steve-soar' post='900789' date='Jul 21 2010, 10:38 AM']Is that an Ernie Ball logo?[/quote]

Looks like it to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but that makes it 1985 or newer?? (although I wouldn't be surprised at some new-old-stock-oddness going on)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='903793' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:35 AM']Looks like a chamfeured body too,Could it be a typo for 1993?[/quote]
The string tree is in the wrong place for an '83 surely?

1993 seems about right. It looks near identical to mine from the same year. Could well be a terrific bass for the right money. A serial number would help date it......

Thats the easy bit it says Ernie Ball on it!
Plus it has an extra fret marker dot,
Like you said truss wheel is at bottom instead of normal truss rod at the top,and the string tree is in the wrong place,
Contoured body never came in on pre EB's and early transition EB's are slab too,
The bridge string guides are hollow on pre's and without closer inspection those are billet ones, plus the strings bend off to the side on a pre EB anyway.

I will go and put my anorak back in the cupboard for now until we get pics of the back to see if its 3,4 or 6 bolt and strung thru etc!

This does look like a very nice EB though and in response to the OP on price, (which we will get moaned at for :) ) I would guess around £800? There are EB's for less I know but this one looks the part and has that great birdseye neck,That said it might play crap and does it have a case, Is there any dents etc etc.Plus its a long way for us to come and try it unless its a local BC'er that wants it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='904079' date='Jul 24 2010, 03:36 PM']in response to the OP on price, [b](which we will get moaned at for :) )[/b] I would guess around £800?[/quote]
Only if you contradict the OP's asking price Pete. :rolleyes:

Sound's like a fair opening price to me.

[quote name='tombboy' post='904196' date='Jul 24 2010, 06:00 PM']The bridge is a 'pre-flea' which dates it to 91-95. The last bridges to feature the mutes. Also the string tree dates it to that era.... earlier Rays had a different positioning. Probably a typo for a 93.[/quote]

any idea what year this looks like???

[quote name='steve-soar' post='900789' date='Jul 21 2010, 10:38 AM']Is that an Ernie Ball logo?[/quote]

Headstock is deffinately post 89/90 in that it has the EB logo ad the truss rod adjuster is at the heal end and not the headstock end.

[quote name='tombboy' post='904196' date='Jul 24 2010, 06:00 PM']The bridge is a 'pre-flea' which dates it to 91-95. The last bridges to feature the mutes. Also the string tree dates it to that era.... earlier Rays had a different positioning. Probably a typo for a 93.[/quote]

The bridge mutes changed and were removed over the period of 79-83, various versions of with mutes, with mech but no pads and no mech at all, but obviously when EB took over there were a large amount of using old stock and basses were produced with many variables.

Looks like a 1990+ bass with an older bridge on IMHO

Still a beautiful bass, good luck with the sale

Dave

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='904268' date='Jul 24 2010, 07:47 PM']any idea what year this looks like???

[/quote]

3 Band EQ post 1987,

Bridge Serial Number, 3 bolt and top loaded stringing dates from ANYWHERE between 79-83, if hollow saddles but EB used solid saddles on this type of bridge from 88

Dave

[url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]Great Site For Dating your MM [/url]

Edited by cd_david

[quote name='cd_david' post='904535' date='Jul 25 2010, 09:25 AM']The bridge mutes changed and were removed over the period of 79-83, various versions of with mutes, with mech but no pads and no mech at all, but obviously when EB took over there were a large amount of using old stock and basses were produced with many variables.

Dave[/quote]

No,All pre EB's have mutes.

[quote name='cd_david' post='904539' date='Jul 25 2010, 09:33 AM']3 Band EQ post 1987,

Bridge Serial Number, 3 bolt and top loaded stringing dates from ANYWHERE between 79-83

Dave

[url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]Great Site For Dating your MM [/url][/quote]

All the 3 bolts had been used up by 81.