Why become a member? ×

FS Fender Precision 1973

electriccheese

Hi!

Here's for sale my 1973 Precision Bass.

The bass plays and sounds amazing, and only weights 3,8kg. The neck is straight, and the truss rod works fine. The frets seems to be original, and are like new. The only thing that maybe it's not original is the brass nut, but I'm not sure. The witdh at nut is 40mm, and the neck is thin and comfortable (similar to a jazz neck)

It comes with the pup and bridge covers, thumbrest and original hardshell case.

SOLD

Thanks!

Edited by electriccheese

[quote name='BB2000' post='898960' date='Jul 19 2010, 03:07 PM']100% original apart from the bits that aren't. Can't argue with that...[/quote]

Ok, you're right in part.

I will edit the topic.

But the only things that I don't know if are original are:

The brass nut (and only cause I don't know if in 1973 fender made basses with brass nut)

The frets, cause are like new, but there's no mark on the fretboard that I can see to say that it's refretted.

"The neck is straight, and the truss rod works fine. The frets seems to be original, and are like new. The only thing that maybe it's not original is the brass nut, but I'm not sure. The witdh at nut is 40mm, and the neck is thin and comfortable (similar to a jazz neck)"

First time I've heard of a neck with a 40mm nut on a '73 Precision? I read they changed from the 'C' 1&3/4" to the 'B' 1&5/8" in 72/73. Always thought the 40 mm [i]was/is[/i] a Jazz neck & it was much later they started swapping around?

Fender has never used a brass nut on his bass guitars (not in those years anyway and not on common P basses). So it's certainly been added later.
This suggests to me even a refret job done on the fretboard, otherwise it wouldn't make sense only to change the nut.
In fact, looking at the picture, the layer of rosewood is very thin, so the keyboard could have been leveled somewhere in time (common fact during a refret job). Even more so if you say that the frets are still like new.
I sold an identical P Bass (same year, same colour, same features, same amount of money) just a couple of months ago. She also had a non original brass nut, and a really thin layer of rosewood (that I think was leveled several times). My 2 cents.
Anyway, it's an amazing instrument, in a very good state at a fair price. Good luck with the sale.

Edited by Presidente