Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot bright box

BeachComa

Hi all! I'm going to take a look at a bright box 4052h tomorrow, and just wanted to know if there are any common problems? The seller says it hums a bit on b and e strings...? I was under the impression that it contained a high pass filter, so it shouldn't matter which string is struck right? Any would be great if one of the TE experts (Merton?) could chime in :)
Cheers

[quote name='BeachComa' post='896807' date='Jul 16 2010, 07:53 PM']The seller says it hums a bit on b and e strings...? I was under the impression that it contained a high pass filter, so it shouldn't matter which string is struck right?[/quote]

If it is sat on another cab, maybe is is resonating cause of vibrations form the cab below. Not a hard one to check by shifting it.

Sorry to "rain on the parade" but ( and it is only my opinion )
Trace Elliot bright boxes,.....
they dont seem to make a massive difference,... they didnt sell a lot did they?
new strings do make everything "bright" though
I dunno, I could be wrong but..... I dont think I am
W

should add, I'm a trace elliot fan not an expert..........and when I say fan I dont mean the thing in the back that goes ,wwwwwrrrrrr,
oh forget it!

Edited by witterth

I tried one when they first came out, sat it on top of an Ampeg 8x10, I didn't really notice a difference...

Ended up using a Hartke Transporter 2x10 with the ally cones, that had some cut to it!

Used them with an 800RB that had a variable x-over built in.

Delberthot swears by his, I guess it depends on the rest of your rig :)

EDIT: the farting on E and B strings might (possibly) be a fudged crossover component which is allowing too much LF through...

Edited by Merton

When I got there, the seller had packed it already and when asked if I could test it he said he didn't have his amp and bass set up :S. So I couldn't test it, it looked a bit dirty, and one of the drivers had clearly been replaced with a different one. I was a bit miffed, offered him 50 quid and got it anyway :)

Back home, I took it apart, cleaned it up a bit (worked wonders). Putting it back together I noticed the grill was raised by rubber spacers, took them out and it made the grill more stable and look better. Also, the TE logo plate had been moved, to access a screw, so I still need to fix that.
I hooked it up and it sounds great at moderate volumes. It adds a nice smooth mid/high content, especially compared to the harsh tweeter in my ashdown MAG 2x10. At high volumes/low notes, it starts farting and it seems only the replaced driver is at fault. So I'll be hunting around for an original... anyone got a spare? :rolleyes:

Has anyone got an idea of the timeline of these things? Mine is a flat-back (not like the monitor type), and has a large TE logo plate. Also, if anyone has a schematic of the filter I would be grateful, as I still don't really trust the original anymore.

[quote name='BeachComa' post='898196' date='Jul 18 2010, 05:15 PM']I hooked it up and it sounds great at moderate volumes. It adds a nice smooth mid/high content, especially compared to the harsh tweeter in my ashdown MAG 2x10. At high volumes/low notes, it starts farting and it seems only the replaced driver is at fault. So I'll be hunting around for an original... anyone got a spare? :)[/quote]

Your chances of finding a replacement driver are extremely slim. Judging from the outside, these were Audax 5" midrange drivers. It was a very nice driver but Audax only made them for a short time. I believe they were discontinued about 20 years ago. I'm not very impressed by your seller.

I can't seem to find them on the net, so yeah it might be a bit tough finding one. I'm not in a rush though, it sounds really good at the moment, just the occasional bit of distortion coming off the replaced cone, and since I'm only using it at bedroom volumes at the moment it'll be fine.

On the upside, it has cleaned up really well and I think it'll look stunning after I get round to re-spraying the grill. If I ever find the right colour that is :)

Major props to you, btw, for identifying the drivers based on my less than ideal description! Do you have one?

[quote name='WinterMute' post='897303' date='Jul 17 2010, 02:25 PM']I tried one when they first came out, sat it on top of an Ampeg 8x10, I didn't really notice a difference...

Ended up using a Hartke Transporter 2x10 with the ally cones, that had some cut to it!

Used them with an 800RB that had a variable x-over built in.[/quote]
thats your problem there the bright box isn't really gonna keep up with the ampeg is it in terms of output!

[quote name='BeachComa' post='899069' date='Jul 19 2010, 03:54 PM']Major props to you, btw, for identifying the drivers based on my less than ideal description! Do you have one?[/quote]
No, I don't have one, but I've used the driver and it has a unique appearance. I'm just guessing based on what the cabs look like. You might find some kind of markings if you take one of the drivers out of the box.

[quote name='umph' post='899112' date='Jul 19 2010, 04:33 PM']thats your problem there the bright box isn't really gonna keep up with the ampeg is it in terms of output![/quote]
Plus I believe the 800RB crosses over at 5kHz, which would remove most of the useful output from the Brightbox.

[quote name='umph' post='899112' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:33 AM']thats your problem there the bright box isn't really gonna keep up with the ampeg is it in terms of output![/quote]
It's more than just a sensitivity issue. Assuming that it only uses a high pass filter a goodly portion of the frequencies that should be diverted away from the woofers and into the mids are still going to the woofers. That very much fouls up the program right there, and as I recall Trace had the drivers horizontally arrayed, furthering the damage.
Using dedicated mid drivers is a very good idea, but if not properly implemented any good idea can be all for naught.