Why become a member? ×

lakland skyline 4401

tom1946

I got one new from the Gallery a few years ago and I really liked it. I found it well made (obviously) and quite versatile. One the whole a good bass for the money. I would guess that about 450ish for a used one. I really cant remember what I sold it for or why come to think of it!

I have one. I think its amazing. So much variation of tone just with the control knobs on the bass.
Makes setting your amp up a dream :)

I got mine brand new from guitar guitar and bartered down to £600 from £650

id pay £400 for a second hand one, if it is a good one!

I bought one after owning a Marcus Miller 4 string Jazz Bass for most of my bass playing life and enduring a complete love/hate relationship with it, and from what I've seen it kicks it squarely in the nuts.

I tired myself out trying different basses for under £600-700 in GAK and the Lakland just stood out for me in terms of build quality, playability and sound. It was just an 'obvious' choice!

Believe it or not, there is a seriously handy little trick that you try out if you have the stock electronics - I *love* how the pickups sound and for me they have just the right balance to them, BUT if you want to achieve a more vintage (dare I say Fender style) style of sound that sits in the mix a different way, roll off a slight amount (and I really do mean a bit of a hair, 5-10%) off the volume pot and most of the more modern high end bleeds off (past probably around 5-6Khz or something like that) - instant tone variation! That way, it's possible to achieve a remarkably good 'Jazz Bass-a-like' on ALL of the different pick up positions.

I also added a scratchplate to mine - black on rosewood tends to need breaking up a little visually :)