Why become a member? ×

Strings affecting volume

Clarky

Happy Jack, Low End Bee and I had a mini BassBash last night (before heading off to the pub obviously). I brought my newly acquired Alleva-Coppolo bass along, wearing some Pyramid Gold Flats. Jack noticed immediately that the E string was tons louder than the other three to the extent that, on active settings, it was quite painfully loud. Now I had swapped the E string yesterday (as the one from the same packet was a little dead sounding) for a used one that someone sold me on BC and had been sitting around for a few years. Could it be the string? Jack thought not as the volume difference was so large and that it must be the pickups or electronics.

Well when I got home I put back on the original string from the same pack as the other string and the volume issue is completely cured. As in not just a bit quieter but actually it now has the identical volume as the A/D/G. I am happy as it has saved me from what threatened to be an expensive trip to the Gallery. It does give you something to think about though with strings - maybe Pyramid changed the metal content in recent years or maybe they are just very variable. Either way I don't think I will be mixing up sets of strings in future.

Clarky's not exaggerating ... the four strings looked and felt more-or-less identical but the E was SO much louder and brighter than the other three that I assumed it had to be an electrical issue.

I was astonished to find that it was just the string making the difference.

I've mixed sets before (by necessity) and have found the main difference tto be in tone, with a bit of volume drop.
Some of my basses are morre sensitive to this than others. I assume your Alleva Coppolo to belong to this category. I never mix & match strings on revealing basses (Vigier, Status & Warwick Infinity in particular)

Hi Clarky,

When recently searching out for new strings I found reference to [u]Alloy 52[/u] being "more magnetic" than conventional strings. It could be that the old spare flat was an alloy 52 and the Pyramids were plain stainless or softened with an unknown quantity of nickel? If you cross match any of these to the type of magnet in the pole-pieces, you could have anything between optimum and incompatible.

That might account for a difference. Try swapping the "D" to see if there is any difference.

Balcro.