Why become a member? ×

Amp for on stage monitoring

Guest MoJo

Lugging my TNT160 up 2 flights of stairs last friday did my 48 year old back and knees no good whatsoever. I used to use a hartke kickback for onstage monitoring in my function band which was ideal. Stupidly I sold it to buy a larger combo that would suit both bands.
What do you think is the smallest (cheap) combo that would work as an onstage monitor for a lively function band?

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='891766' date='Jul 11 2010, 08:51 AM']Why not get another Hartke if it suited you perfectly?[/quote]

They seem to have jumped up considerable in price since I sold mine :) and rarely appear up for sale. If a Kickback 12 came up on eBay, I'd be all over it like a rash

Edited by bassman2790

I got my Roland DB500 for £150 and it's a great bit of kit.

150 (loud) watts, very compact and sounds great. I've used it in loads of situations including a 1000 seat hall with no backup.

Only problem is finding one but they do crop up on here.

[quote name='ardi100' post='891845' date='Jul 11 2010, 11:24 AM']I got my Roland DB500 for £150 and it's a great bit of kit.

150 (loud) watts, very compact and sounds great. I've used it in loads of situations including a 1000 seat hall with no backup.

Only problem is finding one but they do crop up on here.[/quote]

51lbs according to the Roland website....still fairly weighty.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='892024' date='Jul 11 2010, 03:48 PM']At the risk of sounding like a broken record... Line 6 Studio 110.[/quote]

I've got my eye on these.....seem to fit the bill nicely :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='892031' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:03 PM']I've got my eye on these.....seem to fit the bill nicely :)[/quote]

Depending on how 'lively' your function band is, I think you may be struggling to hear the Line 6.
Not the loudest small combo IMO.

depending on how much you want to spend. Markbass are very light and sound great. you could take it on the train

Markbass MINI CMD 121P very light (300w on it's own), 500w with another light extension cab. There are usually a few on ebay second hand as a bit pricey new.. £800

Spec below:

1x12" cab

IMPEDANCE
8 ohms
AMP OUTPUT POWER
500W @ 4 ohm / 300W @ 8 ohm
WEIGHT
29.3 lbs / 13.3 kg
HEIGHT
17 in. / 43.2 cm
WIDTH
15.3 in. / 38.3 cm
DEPTH
14.1 in. / 35.8cm

[quote name='algmusic' post='893531' date='Jul 13 2010, 10:58 AM']depending on how much you want to spend. Markbass are very light and sound great. you could take it on the train

Markbass MINI CMD 121P very light (300w on it's own), 500w with another light extension cab. There are usually a few on ebay second hand as a bit pricey new.. £800[/quote]
The MB combos are great, loud & light but don't come anywhere near the cheap requirement. Love my 121H but as I've said elsewhere a bit of a bu99er to keep down to a level that keeps the rest of my lot happy