Why become a member? ×

Violin bass..but which one?

phil.mcglassup

Hi All,

Due to a problem with my shoulder which makes playing a bass stood up painful I have considered changing from a Hohner B2a to a violin bass. The short scale will help and the hollow body will help with the weight issue too.
I will be looking at getting a copy of the Macca one, but there are so many copies out there it is difficult to choose mainly because this style of bass are not stocked in the local shops to try them out. I haven't yet looked into the different makes and models. It might depend on what I can get for existing Hohner.

I'm not bothered about sound or quality too much, as long as it is playable and there is no fret rattle!!

Has anyone got any opinions of this type of bass?

Phil.

Sounds like you're looking for one of the cheap Far Eastern jobs, something like a Shine. Or you could push the boat out a bit and get a bass with Hofner on the headstock, maybe a Legend or a second-hand Icon.

In truth, there aren't many really bad new basses out there these days. Build quality in China (and Korea and Indonesia and Vietnam etc.) is usually at least adequate. You may have to put a bit of effort into getting the set-up right, though.

A genuine German-made Hofner 500/1 will weigh about 5lbs. A Chinese-made Hofner has a "sustain block" (which is no such thing, of course) and will weigh nearer 6lbs. Even the really cheap copies will still weigh less than 7lbs, and should be much easier on your neck & shoulder than your Hohner.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='891727' date='Jul 11 2010, 01:58 AM']I think you should take a look at the for sale section, there is a very nice epiphone EB-1 there for £180 posted. :)

Sorry for the shameless plug.[/quote]

+1 on the EB-1 in sale section, Stephen is a great guy to deal with also and his setup on basses is top notch too. A bass to seriously consider as its not pricey, looks the part and in mint condition.

It would have to be hollow bodied to be honest to make the necessary weight savings. I am always careful with my basses.

Would you say that the Hofner contemporary series is mid-way between a cheap copy and a German Hofner? I admit I don't know much about the different manufacturers and models. Where's the best (and cheapest) place to get one?

Thanks all.

I used to own a Hofner Ignition (c.£200 model) it weighed next to nothing, sounded right and played fine. But the bass always felt very brittle, not terribly substantial. Therefore I never really gigged it, thinking maybe it's just a personal thing as I usually abuse 70's Fenders.

Eventually, I managed to compare mine with a friends' Contemporary (c.£500) model and the build quality was evident - more robust all round, better paint job, seemingly better parts etc.

I can't help but feel that if I'd have paid a little more I'd still own one...

The HCT is the Hofner Contemporary. The Hofner Icon is essentially the same bass, but for the U.S. market.

Both basses are well-made Chinese copies, built under licence with direct involvement by Hofner. They retain the deeply quirky controls used since 1959, which is part of the charm of these instruments (once you've stopped swearing). They originally sold for about £350.

The Hofner Legend is a further step down in price. I haven't played one, so I can't comment on the quality, but I'd be surprised if Hofner have chosen to compromise too much.

All the Chinese-made Hofners have a block of wood running down the centre of the body. This makes them easier and cheaper to build, but also heavier, and of course they do NOT sound exactly like the real thing.

Every violin bass I've ever played has [i][b]felt [/b][/i]"fragile" or "brittle", but actually they're not. The original German Hofners, especially, are as tough as old boots. Easy to scratch the finish, yes, but you won't break the instrument in a hurry.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='891540' date='Jul 10 2010, 07:38 PM']Hi All,

Due to a problem with my shoulder which makes playing a bass stood up painful I have considered changing from a Hohner B2a to a violin bass. The short scale will help and the hollow body will help with the weight issue too.
I will be looking at getting a copy of the Macca one, but there are so many copies out there it is difficult to choose mainly because this style of bass are not stocked in the local shops to try them out. I haven't yet looked into the different makes and models. It might depend on what I can get for existing Hohner.

I'm not bothered about sound or quality too much, as long as it is playable and there is no fret rattle!!

Has anyone got any opinions of this type of bass?

Phil.[/quote]

I tried the Violin bass for this exact reason, but found them to be uncomfortable. Depending on model they have a bit of neck dive and found this just as uncomfortable as a full sized bass. Plus, the small bodies make for seated playing awkward and clumsy. Is this something you've considered, because I know I hadn't?

There are some good short scale semi acoustics out there. I've just picked up a Tanglewood TEB-12 for £100! A superb 30" lightweight bass with a good neck, and nice beefy humbuckers. There has recently been one on eBay (was called a Candlewood though - girl didn't know what she was selling!), and there has been one on here very recently in the sales section. Not sure if it's still available mind?