Why become a member? ×

Mesa m2000 views?

mikeselfinflicted

ok as some of you may know i've been looking for ages for new gear and as i'm sick of buying something and then finding out weeks later it can't quite manage what i want from it i wanna know 100% that what i get next is pretty much for life!! So here is what i'm thinking

Mesa M2000 amp

Dbx166xl compressor

Laney NX810 cab

I play in a female fronted metal band and the 2 guitarists both use mesa dual rectifiers and 4x12cabs
We tune G# C# G# C# F#
i need something that can have its own sound and is clear but sits nicely in the mix and isn't gonna struggle.

will this set up will be powerful enough and can anyone recommend anything else.
looking to spend aboutt £1200 to £1500 new or S/H

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by mikeselfinflicted

Hey

ive had the Mesa M2000, Big Block 750 and the 400+ in the past

I'd say the M2000 is a little strange and difficult to set up

for my money i'd buy the Big Block 750! Fantastic sound, incredibly easy to use, plus it has the overdrive channel for those big dirty sounds :)

you can probably pick one up second hand for around £700-£900 and if im not mistaken my old one could still be for sale on here (cant remember who bought it) do a search in the amps n cabs for sale thread, im sure it'll pop up :rolleyes:

best of luck mate

cheers

With a backlime like that, I hope your PA is very good.

1st off, I'd have those gtr Boogies through power-soaks and then that may allow you to scale down your rig.
If you want an 8x10..and you really need LARGE stages for that, then I'd be looking at, maybe 2x4x10, 6x10 or
4/6x12. Basically, I am not sure that Laney is upto the job in any shape or form.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='890070' date='Jul 9 2010, 06:30 AM']you can probably pick one up second hand for around £700-£900 and if im not mistaken my old one could still be for sale on here (cant remember who bought it)
cheers[/quote]

it sold.... :)
get a 400+ anyway, the m2000 is far too busy inside and likes to misbehave... or if you cant be arsed with revalving costs, the BB750...

I bought an m2000 when they first came out, cost me a fortune, and it was going to be the last bass amp I ever bought

I was very disapointed. Beautifully made, all the bells and whistles, but really too fiddly for live work. I had some quality issues with the DI and the output, and not very good customer service.

Of all of the amps I have ever bought since 1965, that was the biggest disapointment

I've commented enough on Boogie amps, so will not go there this time.

As for the cab... if you want a large unit on stage, then

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86331"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86331[/url]

or the
Ashdown 8x10 in the FS section here

My fave would be the SWR as I have known them to make bollocking cabs and if this 6x10 is on the same lines at the Goliath 4x10
then you'll have a monster.

I am still a bit worried about 2 gtr 4x12's onstage though.

[quote name='bumnote' post='890406' date='Jul 9 2010, 01:55 PM']I have seen a few bands with rectifiers and the guitars all seem to pinch the bass frequencies. Try fiddling with your tone settings.[/quote]

indeed, or large cabs of any sort. They want and are able to power a very wide range of frequencies which gets in the way of the bass.
MY gtr player wipes all the bass off his amp and this sits very well, IMV, between the two of us. It is the Keys that can be another problem.
All very well have 88's but that left hand can be a nuisance.

Anyway, back to the thread.. I think that 6x10 wil have a very good chance of cutting through or underpinning gtrs in a loud on stage context.
You do need to avoid a fight for volume/mix though...