Why become a member? ×

Ohmage issues... any thoughts??

carlsim

Hi all... my current setup is a Tecamp S210 4 ohm cab powered by a Genz Benz Shuttle 6... (375watts in 8 ohms, 600 watts in 4 ohms...)

I would like to add another cab for depth to the sound for bigger gigs... how much of a loss of power would i experience if i rewired my cab from parallel (2 x 8 ohm speakers = 4ohms) to series (2 x 8 ohm speakers = 16 ohms) and then i can add another 8 ohm cab to run at around 5.3 ohms when necessary...

1 - Will the GB Shuttle power a 16 ohm cab???

2 - How much power loss will i notice going from a 4 ohm to a 16 ohm cab???

3 - Has anyone found any other solutions being in a similar position??? I really like the cab and would love an 8 ohm version... ( i have it up for trade at the moment with no luck...)

4 - How difficult is it going to be to get in the back of the cab to do what needs to be done???

Any info would be muchly appreciated!

Cheers!

[quote name='carlsim' post='889416' date='Jul 8 2010, 12:22 PM']Hi all... my current setup is a Tecamp S210 4 ohm cab powered by a Genz Benz Shuttle 6... (375watts in 8 ohms, 600 watts in 4 ohms...)

I would like to add another cab for depth to the sound for bigger gigs... how much of a loss of power would i experience if i rewired my cab from parallel (2 x 8 ohm speakers = 4ohms) to series (2 x 8 ohm speakers = 16 ohms) and then i can add another 8 ohm cab to run at around 5.3 ohms when necessary...

1 - Will the GB Shuttle power a 16 ohm cab???

[b]Of course it will.[/b]

2 - How much power loss will i notice going from a 4 ohm to a 16 ohm cab???

[b]That depends on how loud you need to be. At medium volumes in a medium room you'll turn up the master to compensate. At full volume you probably will miss a little, or you'll have a bit less headroom.[/b]

3 - Has anyone found any other solutions being in a similar position??? I really like the cab and would love an 8 ohm version... ( I have it up for trade at the moment with no luck...)

[b]Why not leave your leave your 4x10 as is & get a 16 Ohm 15"? This will let you run at 3.2 Ohms (I think - someone check that for me) and I doubt that that would affect the amp very much unless you have it fully open the whole time. Of course, the 4 Ohm cab will get a lot more power then the 16 Ohm. There may be a volume imbalance noticable until you turn it up quite loud. It may be worthwhile seeing if you can borrow a 16 Ohm cab & giving it a try before trying to muck around your 4x10. You can't rewire a 4x10 to 8 Ohms anyway, if they are all 8 Ohm drivers.[/b]

4 - How difficult is it going to be to get in the back of the cab to do what needs to be done???

[b]Depends if the speaker drivers are front or back loaded. Back panel for back-loaded speakers is easier, but you have to be careful re-sealing it afterward. [/b]

Any info would be muchly appreciated!

Cheers![/quote]

Edited by geoffbyrne

It sounds as though your amp is not designed for a 16ohm load. At best you will suffer a significant loss in power. At worst there won't be enough current through the output stage and it'll distort in some fashion. It wouldn't be me.

Also, your initial assumption that adding another cab will improve the sound is on shaky ground. Your amp is running flat out into 4ohms. Even forgetting the impedance issues, getting more cabs (hence more speakers) will still give you the same power but split between more speakers. It isn't neccessarily going to sound better and could easily be worse.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I'm not sure what you mean by depth of sound. If you mean more power then I'm not sure adding to your speakers in this way will help. You can't have a lower impedance and still match your amp and a higher impedance will lose power though it may increase efficiency, the best you can hope for is to stay the same as far as volume is concerned unless you change your speakers entirely.

If it is the limitation of your 2x10 and you want deeper bass then the best way of doing it would be to convert your cab to 16 ohms (probably not difficult) and add another 16 ohm speaker. You could also take up the suggestion of an extra amp. It need only be a cheap PA power amp driven by your existing amp.

Better still get the extra volume off stage and DI through the PA which avoids all the problems of the bass being pcked up by the vocal mics.