Why become a member? ×

musciman stingray NR

munkonthehill

Ok chaps I need some insight.

I have coming to me very soon an EB musicman stingray NR 3band eq. made early 90's.

This is my first bass from the EB family so kinda curious about them. Im looking forward to getting it however due to my recent turnover in basses im worried about the ribbing i will get from my band hahahahaha.

Whats the EQ on them?

Is the neck more p-bass or jazz bass?

with this bass any idea what the NR stands for?

Are they desired basses and easy for resale?

What is the sale value of one of these in mint condition with EB hardcase?

Edited by munkonthehill

Did you win the bass off ebay and was the auction No Reserve (NR) by any chance?
Similar neck to a P Bass.... width tends to vary on models between 39-41.5mm.

Have a wander over to www.ernieball.com and duck into the forum. Careful there though, don't mention other brands.

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='886731' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:04 PM']No idea what the NR stands for, but you have active treble/middle/bass on a Stingray 3eq. The basses seem to sound best with the bass frequency max'd & just a little added treble over the centre point & the mids flat. That's your classic ray sound :)[/quote]

nice one Rich. im looking forward to playing about with it. Having never played one or know anything about them im walking into this venture a tad blind.

[quote name='tombboy' post='886733' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:06 PM']Did you win the bass off ebay and was the auction No Reserve (NR) by any chance?
Similar neck to a P Bass.... width tends to vary on models between 39-41.5mm.

Have a wander over to www.ernieball.com and duck into the forum. Careful there though, don't mention other brands.[/quote]

looks like we have a winner hahahaha, yip your bang on about the no reserve. cheers Tom

a bit gutted about the p-bass neck. im a thin neck man myself. DAMN however i will wait and see how it feels when i get it.

Finest necks I ever came across, the Stingrays, and I'm a big jazz Bass fan.
My eq (3 band) is incredibly powerful - if i have bass turned up behond halfway it distorts the amp, so for me, bass on half, mid a bit off half, 3-4, and treble on 4. It is very punchy with a lot of mids (Hartke 410 cab = lots of punchy mids too) so i roll back a bit of mid.
the action is sublime on this bass, i hit it hard with my fingers and get a bit of grit going on. Hard going back to any other basses now, this one is so great to play.

I started a thread around christmas time on here as i didnt know anything about MM basses either.
If you can track it down there is loads of good info in it.

Im also not a lover of P necks and thats really the only reason i dont own a SR4. My Ray34 has a P sized neck and while i can play it im struggling and dont play it much now.
They do a version called a SLO special that has a Sterling (jazz) sized neck. That what i would kill for.

Could the NR stand for Natural/rosewood by any chance? EDIT: Probably not i guess as all the Natural ones ive seen have maple fretboards.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='886828' date='Jul 5 2010, 11:04 PM']You might be pleasantly surprised Steven. Yes the neck is P width(ish) but the front to back measurement is less, making for a very comfy fit imo.[/quote]

fingers crossed Rich, I have it the noo, but i have to do the house chores before my wife will let me play with it :)

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='886908' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:26 AM']Finest necks I ever came across, the Stingrays, and I'm a big jazz Bass fan.
My eq (3 band) is incredibly powerful - if i have bass turned up behond halfway it distorts the amp, so for me, bass on half, mid a bit off half, 3-4, and treble on 4. It is very punchy with a lot of mids (Hartke 410 cab = lots of punchy mids too) so i roll back a bit of mid.
the action is sublime on this bass, i hit it hard with my fingers and get a bit of grit going on. Hard going back to any other basses now, this one is so great to play.[/quote]

well AL you have sold me....i will have a shot tonight and i have rehearsals tomorrow with it,,, although its in the basement and we use practice amps and the drummer uses a roland drum kit....

hope it does it justice

It sure ain`t no Fender Jazz Steven. But they have a sound all of their own and nothing (and I don`t care what anyone else says regarding ATK`s AND G&L`s) sounds the same as them. Great basses. Had one for a while but after having it slung over my shoulder for 3 hours, it was starting to give my shoulder jip due to the weight. But it sounded great and looked the biz!

I think that you will enjoy it. Are you gonna see sense and stop buying Epiphones now? :)

Jez

Guest johnzgerman

i think the stingray neck is the easiest neck to play of any bass ive ever tried, and of course they sound f***ing awesome:)

Ok chaps as a rule i guess i have to share some pics

I was using the dampner on the bridge for a while and loved the 70's styled sound it gives.

the main thing about this is the original hardcase that weighs about 11kg and i would imagine would be used in the army to courier delicate items!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='887965' date='Jul 7 2010, 12:04 AM']oh thats sweet, a natural ash ray, i'll take the one on the left, ta. tell me, is that the best bass neck ever?[/quote]

I've only had a wee noodle at it Al. Just like rich had said it's broader string to string than I'm used to however it's not too deep. It feels ok and looks amazing.

Rehearsals tonight to try it out properly though, can't wait to hear it in the mix...

[quote name='tombboy' post='888582' date='Jul 7 2010, 03:46 PM']You'll be hooked.
Best neck I've ever played.
Sound wise, it's a bit of a one trick pony....... but oh my, WHAT a trick!!![/quote]

fingers crossed. or my next post will headline,,,,,,,FOR SALE MINT CONDITION EB MUSICMAN STINGRAY

hahahaha

also chaps,

im curious, the body on the stingray is glossy as with most basses. however the neck appears to be non-glossy and natural wood. The fretboard and neck appear to be the same cut of wood. is this normal for MM basses?

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='888400' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:31 PM']I've only had a wee noodle at it Al. Just like rich had said it's broader string to string than I'm used to however it's not too deep. It feels ok and looks amazing.

Rehearsals tonight to try it out properly though, can't wait to hear it in the mix...[/quote]

rehearsal was cancelled tonight. owell time to stick the bass back in its hummer styled case.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='889005' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:56 PM']rehearsal was cancelled tonight. owell time to stick the bass back in its hummer styled case.[/quote]

Nooooo, you should get some playing in anyway. This bass deserves to be played not stored away :-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='889018' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:04 PM']Nooooo, you should get some playing in anyway. This bass deserves to be played not stored away :-)[/quote]

its cool dave,,,,,i was noodling all night(oh er). only thing is im now fighting the urge to stick flats on it.

Can anyone shed some light if thats a good idea????????

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='889055' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:35 PM']its cool dave,,,,,i was noodling all night(oh er). only thing is im now fighting the urge to stick flats on it.

Can anyone shed some light if thats a good idea????????[/quote]

Its nice to get a bass that you feel you cant put down. Ive had a few recently that i didnt want to pick up.

I know loads of people use flats on Rays but i think they sound better with rounds.
Ive had EB flats on my Ray34 and didn't really like them. Ive just today put some Chromes on my CV Jazz and love them.
Ive used flats a few times before but always go back to rounds. Flats sound good for some things but i always miss the overtones and so tend to swap them around ever so many months.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='889063' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:45 PM']Its nice to get a bass that you feel you cant put down. Ive had a few recently that i didnt want to pick up.

I know loads of people use flats on Rays but i think they sound better with rounds.
Ive had EB flats on my Ray34 and didn't really like them. Ive just today put some Chromes on my CV Jazz and love them.
Ive used flats a few times before but always go back to rounds. Flats sound good for some things but i always miss the overtones and so tend to swap them around ever so many months.[/quote]

I have rounds on my jag and flats on my aerodyne. both sound amazing the way they are so im torn what to do with the stingray. best thing i guess is try it at next gig with the rounds and once i have that then stick flats to see how i get on.

bloody impatience hahaha

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='888756' date='Jul 7 2010, 06:03 PM']im curious, the body on the stingray is glossy as with most basses. however the neck appears to be non-glossy and natural wood. The fretboard and neck appear to be the same cut of wood. is this normal for MM basses?[/quote]
EBMM necks are natural maple, maple boards or rosewood, the necks are oil finished, silk or matt, so you need to do a bit of maintainance on them twice a year or they get grubby.
Plenty of info about this on the EBMM site/forum.
My neck is definitely not same cut of wood as fretboard but its well matched. Think - how would they get the truss rod in there? No skunk stripe on the back, like a strat.