Why become a member? ×

trading basses

cycrowave

hi. so im wondering what advice the board could give regarding trading? if you are both sending something by courier for instance, theres gonna have to be a lot of trust involved? or is there a 3rd party through which you can carry out the transation? any thoughts on this greatly appreciated, as im thinking about doing a trade. cheers

I've done plenty of trades on the forum, but always face to face.

If this isn't feasible i'd suggest you check the reputation of the seller through tracking their post history, have they sold to people before etc ? Has anyone created a thread about them in the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=23"]Feedback forum[/url] ?

If not, you really have to ask yourself if you trust this person based on your dealings with them so far, alas if you have reservations - it's best to let it go. If you do encounter problems however, we as moderators can attempt to mediate on any dispute, but cannot guarantee we will provide a result as we do not take any responsibility for transactions made by people on the forum. :).

Trades will involve the same amount of trust as a 'buy', IMV.

Look for established members and how long they have contributed here. The more often the better, IMO.
Their reputation here should be more important than a quick scam.
I have brought quite a few things here but don't have much feedback; 2 basses, 2 cabs and an effects unit so I don't regard that as absolute in itself but you go ahead or not, sometimes, because the deal feels right...or not..!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='881326' date='Jun 29 2010, 08:34 PM']Trades will involve the same amount of trust as a 'buy', IMV.[/quote]

Maybe, but I can see why it wouldn't feel like that. As a buyer you send money and trust you get something in return, so there's always an element of risk. As a seller you don't ship till you get the money, which isn't risk free, but it feels more secure. A trade is like shipping before you've had the money. Of course the other party is exposed to the same risk, so it sort of evens out.

Having seen the lengths people will go to to sell on here rather than eBay, where they would probably sell quicker for more money, I guess most transactions go through ok. Mine all have.

[quote name='cycrowave' post='881119' date='Jun 29 2010, 04:37 PM']hi. so im wondering what advice the board could give regarding trading? if you are both sending something by courier for instance, theres gonna have to be a lot of trust involved? or is there a 3rd party through which you can carry out the transation? any thoughts on this greatly appreciated, as im thinking about doing a trade. cheers[/quote]
Yea im in the same frame of thought(thinking of trading)Ive been stung hard when selling a laptop one so wary,very least i would insist on before postage is communication through a home phone number,ideally if i trade id rather deal with someone in a distance that an amacable meet up could be arranged,not always possible though and can restrict the level of interest.

I've been on here a long time, and done many [i]many[/i] sales and trades with all sorts of people on basschat (and bassworld as was) and never once had an issue.

You'll find the vast majority of people on here are the salt of the earth, although there's always a few characters to avoid, I hasten to add I don't know any on here.

Follow the advice above, try and do some research into the person you're trading with and if they have good feedback etc, then you shouldn't have a problem.

There's always an element of trust when posting stuff, but it's a lot safer on here than on somewhere like ebay because most of us on here know who most of the users are. Just be a little wary of new members who haven't posted very much. You do get the odd member who only comes here to sell stuff, and people like that we don't know much about.