Why become a member? ×

I need to be louder!

4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='886566' date='Jul 5 2010, 06:51 PM']Ah, I should have said 300w 8ohms each....[/quote]

Yeah, i was going to ask, seeing as you already have been using them both together.

I would say that this sort of cab wouldn't be ideal for punching through a band mix, probably not enough mids. I think the new cabs would be a good idea.

[quote]There could be a solution at hand, a guy a few miles away is selling his Ashdown Mag rig... a 15" cab, a 2x10 cab and a 600 evo11 head. He's selling them seperately so I'm guessing either the cabs or the head would probably help?[/quote]

Are these MAG cabs? I had a MAG300 head with MAG210T and MAG115 cabs. I used that rig in a couple of outdoor gigs, but always with proper outdoor PA support. But I never had any trouble hearing myself on stage. When the head packed up I continued using the MAG cabs with a Hartke HA3500 and that rig was good too. Both actually got quite a lot of compliments, for budget gear.

I've only just sold the cabs on eBay and they fetched £87 and £67 respectively (+shipping), so they're not exactly expensive and come up fairly often. And they're light (or were, I think the new ones are heavier), the 115 particularly is an easy 1 person lift. I'd get the cabs as, if you change the amp, you could easily end up no better off (on the basis the PA speakers are the most likely source of the problem). Also, unless you desperately need to sell them on, could you use the PA cabs to improve the bass on the PA?

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' post='890468' date='Jul 9 2010, 02:47 PM']Are these MAG cabs? I had a MAG300 head with MAG210T and MAG115 cabs. I used that rig in a couple of outdoor gigs, but always with proper outdoor PA support. But I never had any trouble hearing myself on stage. When the head packed up I continued using the MAG cabs with a Hartke HA3500 and that rig was good too. Both actually got quite a lot of compliments, for budget gear.

I've only just sold the cabs on eBay and they fetched £87 and £67 respectively (+shipping), so they're not exactly expensive and come up fairly often. And they're light (or were, I think the new ones are heavier), the 115 particularly is an easy 1 person lift. I'd get the cabs as, if you change the amp, you could easily end up no better off (on the basis the PA speakers are the most likely source of the problem). Also, unless you desperately need to sell them on, could you use the PA cabs to improve the bass on the PA?[/quote]

They were MAG cabs and they went for £82 each I think. Shipping wouldn't be a problem as they were only a few miles away. I've come up with another solution now anyway. Use all my gear at once! Well, not quite, the band have a decent PA and the drummer is also a DJ, he also has a pair of decent active speakers, so my PA gear is pretty much redundant. I am thinking, use my Ashdown head, or my beloved Acoustic head to feed my 2x15 cab and use my 400w Power amp to feed my 1x15 and 2x10. Not exactly small and light, which was the whole idea in the first place, but I do believe that if you want a big sound, you need a big rig!

[quote name='bassmachine2112' post='897104' date='Jul 17 2010, 09:18 AM']I,ve had problems in the past with ashdown not punching their weight ,simple -get rid[/quote]

Have used the 15" combos and I think they work well for the size....not great but very useable and punched above their weight
Distinctly unimpressed with the amps..esp the EVO thing. That amp would muddy up most cabs, IME.