Why become a member? ×

MIJ Fender 'Silver Series' Squier Jazz Bass

gjones

As the title says I just bought a MIJ Fender 'Silver Series' Squier Jazz Bass via Ebay. It's a P serial number 1993-94. What a fantastic bass! It's incredibly solid and well made - at least as well made as my MIJ Geddy Lee. It's made of what I assume is basswood with a satin finished neck. There's no crackles from the electrics and very little hum from the pickups (which may have something to do with the a grounding strip going from the bridge pickup to the bridge similiar to a 62 Jazz). And what a sound! It sounds almost like a precision it's got so much low end punch. I've looked on the internet and there's not much information about 'Silver Series' Squier Jazzes so I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these excellent basses.

Edited by gjones

Yeah they're cracking basses when you find a good one. I had a Strat once and wasn't overly impressed with that, but the last couple of basses I've tried have been great.

My Precision is a couple of years older, and also MIJ, and it's as good as any Precision as I've ever played.

[quote name='Rayman' post='875432' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:10 PM']Yeah they're cracking basses when you find a good one. I had a Strat once and wasn't overly impressed with that, but the last couple of basses I've tried have been great.

My Precision is a couple of years older, and also MIJ, and it's as good as any Precision as I've ever played.[/quote]
I used to have one. It was a great bass. Cost me £90 about 12 years ago. I just sold a Silver Series Tele guitar too, the guy is delighted with it.

However, I wonder if people think they are better than the current Squier Classic Vibes. I just bought a CV '50s Strat and it's a fabulous guitar for the money, great build and tone and I love the neck.

[quote name='silddx' post='875522' date='Jun 23 2010, 03:57 PM']I used to have one. It was a great bass. Cost me £90 about 12 years ago. I just sold a Silver Series Tele guitar too, the guy is delighted with it.

However, I wonder if people think they are better than the current Squier Classic Vibes. I just bought a CV '50s Strat and it's a fabulous guitar for the money, great build and tone and I love the neck.[/quote]

Yeah, I think old gear can be looked at through rose tinted spectacles a bit, some of it was awful, 70s Fenders were a case in point, some great, some pants, and the older Squiers are the same, I've played some dogs, but if you can find a good one they're great. However, I'm with you on the Classic Vibes, they seem to be consistantly good basses, and probably a much safer bet.

Well I was seriously considering a Vintage Vibe Jazz but I got fed up waiting for them to bring one out in sunburst. I'd played a Silver Series before so was aware they're really well put together basses and I liked the sound. It was a bit of a leap of faith buying it from ebay though but luckily I got a nice one. The price was £250 + postage which have been roughly the cost of a vintage vibe.

Man! I sold one of these last year for a lot less than £250. It was a silver series jazz, ok, but not enough character to warrant modifying. However, it took a helluva beating in the van but never failed. Can't believe people are that excited by them, but then, what do I know?

[quote name='scalpy' post='875928' date='Jun 23 2010, 10:28 PM']Man! I sold one of these last year for a lot less than £250. It was a silver series jazz, ok, but not enough character to warrant modifying. However, it took a helluva beating in the van but never failed. Can't believe people are that excited by them, but then, what do I know?[/quote]

I've kept my eyes peeled for one for a while. Most go for about £300 and I've seen them go for £400 on Ebay over the last year/18 months. I was only prepared to pay £250 tops but the two I've tried (mine and one a friend of a friend has) are both very well made and have a great sound. I've seen Silver series Precisions selling here for about £150 - for some reason the Jazz basses tend to go for more. Did you put yours on Ebay? They don't come up that often as they were only made for 2 years between 92 and 94 and there's not many about.

Edited by gjones

I bought a Silver Series Jazz when they first came out; 'twas my first ever bass. It was amazing; lasted me way longer than a beginners bass should do. In the end I'd defretted it, varnished the neck, then had it planed back down, added EMG JVs and a Badass, and I swear it sounded every bit as good as my Jaco signature Jazz, and actually felt a lot more comfortable to play. Amazing build quality for a bass at that price. Incredible that the neck survived my cack-handed attempts at woodwork and came out shining! A.

[quote name='gjones' post='875998' date='Jun 23 2010, 11:14 PM']I've kept my eyes peeled for one for a while. Most go for about £300 and I've seen them go for £400 on Ebay over the last year/18 months. I was only prepared to pay £250 tops but the two I've tried (mine and one a friend of a friend has) are both very well made and have a great sound. I've seen Silver series Precisions selling here for about £150 - for some reason the Jazz basses tend to go for more. Did you put yours on Ebay? They don't come up that often as they were only made for 2 years between 92 and 94 and there's not many about.[/quote]

I didn't! Like I said it took bit of a beating after I blagged a session at AIR studios and it didn't perform, failing in its supposed hour of glory! So I didn't give it much love after that and got my G+L. The jazz never got a look in and lived in the cupboard behind the stairs, no case etc and a friend of a friend gave me a call, desperate for a bass after his failed so I sold it to him for 100 quid. Never thought about it 'till I saw this thread yesterday. Hindsight is a wonderful but sometimes painful thing!