Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber 2 reissue

High score

Yeah.

It's ace.

Set neck on the new one rather than Bolt-On like the 70's ones.

It sounds like a decent P-Bass, so if you like that sound, but don't want to have the Fender name/shape/'everyone has one' factor...it's ace.

The moveable pickup does very little...i'm unsure if it was the same on the old ones.

You can buy old ones for about £500 trashed to £12/1300 in good nick. The new ones are about £900/£1000; with the new neck joint.

The Ripper 2 was wicked too, like a beefed up Ric 4003...

I'd have one...but i prefer the appearance of precisions.

I played old Grabber (had a ripper here for sale with no success like ussually haha) and for me Grabber is better - it was light, with that great sliding pick up. someone said that moving pup does nothing for tone variety - i disagree, think about the position of pup toward the body and strings, when it moves,the sound changes obviously.
it had that P bass thump with a more bottom end as with the Gibson basses.
highly recommended basses. not sure about new version tho...

• 4 months later...

I picked up a G3 for £350 about 4 years ago, bargain it was, got it from Germany. It was fretless which made it odd to play, but sounded like nothing els, was fantastic!
I now kick myself very hard for being a nob and trading it in for a bass with the value fo £350, so didnt make a loss, but could have made a big profit, All aside, i wish i had kept it.

Funnily enough i found the new owner on youtube, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDzJk_FT7_s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDzJk_FT7_s[/url] g-3 sound is music to my ears, ...depsite being slightly out of tune...

I have an original grabber. Not sure about the new ones but here's a list of stuff that grinds my gears about the old one.

1. Neck dive is a massive problem.
2. Sliding pickup does nothing at all really.
3. 34 3/4 inch scale plays he'll with my muscle memory.

The tone is good though.

• 1 month later...

-----------

i'm supprised they havnt reissued the G-3
the ripper now been re issued 3 times, 2 times by Epiphone, and once by Gibby.
Gibson now chosen to re do the grabber, at a ok price, but you could get a g-3 for around the same price.
It was superior to the grabber and ripper, , with modern ways, it could sound even better, and be very popular.

i'v been thinking, what would happen if one modified and Epiphone Ripper, to take g-3 pickups.
route out a bit of the body, make a new scratch plate.
Would it give a g-3 sound.

Edited by andysleigh