Why become a member? ×

Class D (the make) PA speakers

solo4652

Hi all,

My band's in the market for some reasonable active PA speakers, mainly for vocals PA (maybe keys too). Shopping list:

12"
Active
350w minimum
Reasonably lightweight
Inexpensive
Reliable

I've seen these from the manufacturer called Class D in Nottinghamshire:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-CLASS-D-2-Way-12-ABS-Active-PA-Speakers-600W-/120576242290?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1c12e77272"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-CLASS-D-2-Way-1...=item1c12e77272[/url]

Anybody had any experience of these, please?

Cheers,

Steve

[quote name='sk8' post='873334' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:27 AM']we're using the mackie thumps and they seem okay so far[/quote]

Aha! Mackie Thumps were also on our shortlist - can get a new pair including stands for £498. From people's comments about the Class D speakers, the Mackies are now right at the top of the shortlist.

Steve

I've been looking at active monitors also & the post is in the misc section (below the effects section) & the thumps was also on my shortlist.
The Wharfedale Titan 12s get a good shout but I've decided to go with the db technologies Opera Live 405s.

Wharfedale and db are also good shouts, I too would steer clear of the Class D stuff; it's probably fine for rehearsals and suchlike but the build quality isn't great and their reputation for reliability isn't very good.

If you don't mind going secondhand, look at FBT, JBL Eons and maybe Studiomaster VPX / Studiospares Fortissimos as well (apparently the latter two are the same speaker with different badges).

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='873667' date='Jun 21 2010, 05:30 PM']Wharfedale and db are also good shouts, I too would steer clear of the Class D stuff; it's probably fine for rehearsals and suchlike but the build quality isn't great and their reputation for reliability isn't very good.

If you don't mind going secondhand, look at FBT, JBL Eons and maybe Studiomaster VPX / Studiospares Fortissimos as well (apparently the latter two are the same speaker with different badges).[/quote]

Thanks for your advice. The band really wantes to buy new, and there's a pretty tight budget. So, I've ordered the Mackies.