Why become a member? ×

A Fender Jazz Story

Toddy

Seems there is a lot if interest in the Jazz at the moment,,, and I confess,,Ive been looking for one for some time now..

Now I love my Ibanez, dont get me wrong,,, but a more traditional instrument is really required for current projects,,, and I promised myself to look for a proper Fender...

I was looking forward to a looming trip to see freinds in Brighton,,, knowing that the minute I walked into GAK, I would fall in love,,,and would have to have her....finance would no doubt be involved,,,, arguments would ensue,,, I just didnt care.....I had waited long enough...

The day before we went, casually wasting half an hour,, I walked into one of our local music shops to avoid the rain while Sharon (my partner finished work)

And there she was......................

A USA 97 Jazz,,,,not in perfect condition,, but very good,,, this gal had history,,,,a gigging bass,,,set up like a dream with flats,,, and a pick-up upgrade (EMG)

A quick blast through an amp and the shop owner says " one to think about eh sir?" expecting me to hand her back with the customary errrrr do you do trades routine???......I ask the price.......a shade under 500 quid..................er no,, was my reply......Ill take her please......he nearly fainted......

Nervously waiting for the card to be accepted,,, phew,,,,, sale accepted,,,,,, she was mine.... haaaaaa

Ill just fetch the case he added,, its a bit beaten up im afraid.....hell yeah,, this case had more american tour and airline stickers than Id ever seen.......
Walking back into the house ...Bass in hand,,,, Daughter pipes up,,,,, where did you get that case,,, I love that band !!

(Disclaimer,,, nervous this might have been a stolen bass, I have contacted the relevent american band)

Ill admit,, not being a Fender expert,,, she did have the odd surprise,,, yes I should have guessed the EMG pick ups were active, and didnt till took the control panel off an a 9volt fell out......

But all in all,,,,Im extremely happy with her..........I took her down to Butlins in Bognor and Minehead and she performed well,,,,,and since has done about ten gigs all good so far,,,,,,In the next couple of weeks she will have gone up to Scotland and back down to Cornwall and will report further,,,,,I have even decided to leave flats on her,,,,,a big change to my usual sound,,, but so easy to play,, and dance floors always seem full,,, so ,, im sticking with them for now.....How the hell she ended up in a backwater of Lincolnshire I guess we will never know,, but chuffed she did.......

Any comments,,, thoughts, etc appreciated....Top Regards

Toddy.

Any comments you said?

1) Nice score... and you are lucky
2) Me, I am a bit of a traditionalist, I would wave buh-bye to the evil EMG's and put some bona fide passive J's in there with waxed cloth wires, original CST pots and capacitors 2 intdependent vol controls one for each p/up and a lovely-jobbly "smooth-it-all" tone pot instead of an eq/preamp what never belonged on a jazz bass in the first place. You don't get the sonic nuances you get with the original setup with those harsh pre-amps. I've tried them all from Tortellini (Bartolini's) to Bland (Blade) they all increase punch but deduct feel.
3) Very good condtns again you're lucky.

question who was the famous band that your daughter recognized?

It's very possible that your bass is in this small pic of the band!

[url="http://underthegunreview.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/0402_something_corporate_a-300x297.jpg"]http://underthegunreview.net/wordpress/wp-...e_a-300x297.jpg[/url]

:)

Edited by rjb

Cheers Wazoo,,,, its a good point,,,,, might indeed take some advice and swop the pickups,,,,,,,,, again,,, would like her copper shielded as well,,, and maybe a tort guard?????? early days..............Made a good start anyway ...... cheers...

[quote name='Toddy' post='872764' date='Jun 20 2010, 05:14 PM']Guess it wouldnt hurt,,,,,, the band are called "Something Corporate" have a greatest hits out at min..... :rolleyes: big in America etc....[/quote]

Just realised we have a copy of their first album in the house. I can see your bass on the pictures :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='872765' date='Jun 20 2010, 05:16 PM']OMG Fragile Canada, they're one of my favourite bands too![/quote]

Megzlolz