Why become a member? ×

Markbass Reliability - or the lack of it??

dodgnofski

[quote name='dodgnofski' post='869773' date='Jun 17 2010, 11:25 AM']... [b]I don't really care what the 'statistics' say[/b], all I know is that 'none' of the numerous amps I've owned over the past 30+ years ever 'failed' .....[/quote]
I guess you won't be interested then that "statistically" with every non failing amp you had the likelihood of the next one failing increases exponentially until one day... pop. :)

I agree that Proel's costing is extreme for what could just turn out to be a single faulty component. I presume that it is out of warranty so getting it repaired locally makes perfect sense. Another thing worth considering is, if it were me I might just say what the heck I've had my moneys worth from it (considering what I might have spent in all that time hiring amps for gigs) so why not sell it on as faulty giving the next owner full details of Proel's findings and you could use the funds to go toward your next new amp (which [b]statistically[/b] shouldn't fail :rolleyes:).

[i]Apologies for the "witch-hunt" comment above. As I said I was on the move and checking out the site on my phone and hadn't seen the other post so the penny didn't drop about Dave's joke.[/i]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='869842' date='Jun 17 2010, 12:44 PM']I guess you won't be interested then that "statistically" with every non failing amp you had the likelihood of the next one failing increases exponentially until one day... pop. :)[/quote]

No it doesn't, the likelihood stays the same.

Anyway, unless the amp has actually been abused then he shouldn't have to pay for it if he is the original purchaser/has the receipt, if it's only a couple of years old. Have you not contacted Markbass directy? From what I've heard they are a helpful company, and this is one of their 'flagship' products.

Kind of puts me off getting Markbass (which long-term I was seriously considering, in particular an F1) if repairs are this expensive - and that's despite the low failure rate, since it means that although the chances of it failing are low, the cost of such a failure will be prohibitively high. I think other 'medium compact' heads might be more easily serviceable, looking at the internal gubbins of my Tecamp that looked easier to work on than an F1.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='869762' date='Jun 17 2010, 11:16 AM']Im no expert but it seems to me that newer amps, and maybe more so digital ones like the F1, need complete boards replaced rather than things being repaired with a bit of solder. Maybe thats why the quote was so high.[/quote]

Nope, it's all just components. Believe it or not, many of the same components in fact. Just arranged a bit different way.

There is absolutely no reason, ever, why an entire pcb would need to be replaced, unless:

1) the pcb itself is physically damaged beyond repair

or

2) the repair tech is lazy or untrained

Can't comment on Markbass's reliability but I will say, a few times now someone has talked about having their MB repaired by MB/Proel and it is always insanely expensive. The answer, I should think, is to take it to your local tech instead. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dodgnofski' post='868472' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:43 PM']Hi Guys,

Anyone had any problems with their Markbass amps??

Mine has only had 'ultralight use' - but even so 'died' last night! - no sound at all - apart from a 'frying' sound from the speakers?

In 30 + years this is the only amp out of literally dozens from a Selmer Treble & Bass, Marshall Super Bass & even Super Lead, Hiwatt, Acoustic, Ampeg, Sunn, through to Roland. Trace Elliot etc, etc that has ever let me down!

One of the main reasons I bought which is supposedly a 'high end' amp was 'reliability'??

The people Markbass put me onto 'guesstimate' that there won't be much change out of £200! - which will make this a very expensive amp, if I get it fixed & dare to trust it again!!

Any suggestions? - all donations gratefully received - would love to know if anyone else has had the same problem & how they resolved it??[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,
I've just recently bought a little Mark III ( brand new, £560 later ) and I'm also getting "cut out " problems. At a gig amp switched on Ok .... sound checked ok... went to play 1st n.o .....nothing, no light just dead, Nightmare, switched the power cord , amp came back to life, assumed it was a fuse. Finished gig with after a little volume fluctuation, tested origional power lead fuse was fine!

Fortunately I filled out the warranty so it will be sent back for repair. Will let you know what happens.

My LMII has been making buzzing sounds intermitantly.It seems to be the input stage(waggled lead,got buzzing then cut out).
My drummers work collegue is going to have a look,but if that fails,it's off to Steves Amps.If the repair is over £150,I will be considering getting a Harke LH500.
I will be gutted as the sound of an MB amp is amazing.