Why become a member? ×

Music Man Sabre Basses

Prosebass

If I decide to do the trade I'll report back tomorrow. Rather than do anything with it as it is not my type of bass (unless I make a fretless neck for it) I will probably just pass it on to someone who will appreciate it and will offer it up on basschat if that is the case.

Thanks again for all the info.

Paul :)

I didn't do the trade and did not see the body, but he has an original 70's bridge (felt pads worn off) 2 pickups and the control plate complete with electronics and knobs switches etc , all well used.
Are they worth buying ? and would anyone be interested. If so PM me.

Paul

Edited by Prosebass

If you bought it you would likely make a few bucks parting it out - as long as you weren't looking to shift it straight away.
As for doing it up I think at the end of the day it's potentially more hassle than it's worth (I'm sure you're thinking this already Paul) because unless you're gonna keep it, if you can't find an original neck it will still be a bitsa thus not as valuable as all originals. It would be great for someone as a keeper that's not bothered about selling it on - and who knows a real neck might turn up sometime. IMHO

[quote name='dlloyd' post='864109' date='Jun 11 2010, 10:18 AM']There were a couple of changes through the Sabre's lifetime. Early ones had exposed pole pieces on the pickups, but later ones were covered and had a 3 way switch instead of the toggles. The later ones also adopted the stingray bridge of the time:

[/quote]
The reason for that was because they redesigned the neck pickup so that it had 8 smaller pole pieces rather than 4 larger pole pieces. This happened because the neck magnets in earlier models were so strong that they choked the strings. There were also changes to the preamp, including a simpler layout and no series parallel or boost switches. (I owned an 83 Cutlass II.)

I'm a bit cautious of my hands, growing into a neck can work but if the strain is too much it may be more harm than good.
Growing into a neck cause its different is just change, but a neck thats just too hard on your hands by design may need some re-thinking.

• 4 months later...