Why become a member? ×

Bargain 63 P BASS?

Just seen this for 2k... bargain for someone?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precuision-Bass-/330441200304?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4cefd492b0"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precuision-Ba...=item4cefd492b0[/url]

Agreed, the Neck plate doesn't look right!
And I think technically speaking, the case should be white if its an original '63 case

Doesn't look like an era accurate refinish, but still, if it was all original 4k would be good money for this (half off for a refin).

In fact, sure the neck plate is fake:

80,000s to 90,000s 1963
90,000s up to L10,000s 1963
L10,000s up to L20,000s 1963

There is that dash on the left of the number, but if that was part of an L, it would be too high!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='861162' date='Jun 8 2010, 04:18 PM']Agreed, the Neck plate doesn't look right!
And I think technically speaking, the case should be white if its an original '63 case

Doesn't look like an era accurate refinish, but still, if it was all original 4k would be good money for this (half off for a refin).

In fact, sure the neck plate is fake:

80,000s to 90,000s 1963
90,000s up to L10,000s 1963
L10,000s up to L20,000s 1963

There is that dash on the left of the number, but if that was part of an L, it would be too high!

Si[/quote]

+1
Looks wrong.
Need to see under the plate, PUPs and the surviving orginal pot too..
Also the routing in case the third pot was associated with some butchery...

Edited by OldGit

I actually think it would be well worth checking out...

Though the neck plate is most definitely wrong for a '63. There actually was a '-' prefix that appeared on some neck plates in '57-58 and that number (14996) could well be in the '57 date range (& it was sometimes found on very rare double stamped plates with a 0 prefixed different number on the other side)...but the numerals look a bit odd to me (too close together). Adding a '57 neck plate to a '63 P Bass doesn't make sense unless it's a fake (which I feel this is), or the bass is made up of bits from different basses.

But the neck, tuners, pickguard, bridge & controls look original. Would need a MUCH better look at the body to be sure it's original though - though it's a re-fin it also doesn't 'feel' quite right.

I've had pics from the vendor.
Under the plate it's very clean. There is some colour fading.
The worrying thing there is the wiring looks modern.
There's no traditional fluffy wires. There's red and green wires, grey and white modern wires from the pup ....

I've asked for more pics ..

It still feels not exactly suspect but rather like a bass made up of collected bits. £2k is a tad high for that.

[quote name='OldGit' post='863537' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:04 PM']It still feels not exactly suspect but rather like a bass made up of collected bits. £2k is a tad high for that.[/quote]

+1 That's my gut feeling as well.

Asked for pics of the pickup windings, the back of the scratch plate, the aluminum shielding plate, the pot code.
No pics forthcoming and "this is a 63 L type so it doesn't have an aluminium shielding plate. That was on the earlier slab neck ones. I have two of those and thy have plates .."

Hum Bass Doc confirms that ali shield plates were in use into the 70's ....

My view hasn't changed.

[quote name='OldGit' post='863739' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:32 PM']No pics forthcoming and "this is a 63 L type so it doesn't have an aluminium shielding plate. That was on the earlier slab neck ones. I have two of those and thy have plates .."[/quote]

Oh dear, oh dear...he's not doing himself any favours by BS'ing like that.

[quote name='OldGit' post='863537' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:04 PM']The worrying thing there is the wiring looks modern.
There's no traditional fluffy wires. There's red and green wires, grey and white modern wires from the pup ....[/quote]
Given that drilling for another pot, it might be that it was wired differently at some point in its history and then rewired to standard.