Why become a member? ×

Stingray eating batterys

5thread

Hi there guys I have a problem with my stingray it goes through batterys like you would not beleive. Last week we had a 4hour practice with my new band, a brand new energizer plus goes in ok during the practice but this weekend i got it out of the case plugged it into my amp and all i got was a distorted farting sound. I took the battery out put on my tongue, and there was hardly any power in it. I unplug it when not in use and have tried duracels just to see if it was a bad one. Can anyone shed any light on this cheers Ian. :)

[quote name='5thread' post='860379' date='Jun 7 2010, 09:27 PM']Yep i"m gonna check that when i get a min. I just wondered if anyone else had come to find this problem this is my second stingray and never had the problem with the first one.[/quote]

I've still got the original battery in mine and it's 7 years old now. So definitely sounds like a short.

Edited by jwood662

A battery in my stingray would generally last anything up to a year before I changed it which I then put in my tuner which would last another year, so yes, it looks like there's some kind of permanent circuit happening which is causing the battery to be constantly on

Edited by Delberthot

I would start with a visual inspection - particularly around the jack area. Plugging in the jack completes the earth side of the preamp circuit, so *something* must be completing that earth. As the jack is the only mechanical bit it's the most likely point of failure.