Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird Strap Button Hole

farmer61

****PLEASE NOTE DIY RETARD****

Anyone filled the hole left by a repositioned strap button on a Gibo T-Bird. I have the natural finish, I assume woodfiller followed by light sanding, but then what do I know. Also how to match up the colour as best as possible.

Any amateur Luthiers out there??

Cheers

This colour

Edited by farmer61

1. If you are indeed a diy retard then get someone else to do it. :)

2. Wood filler will work but if you sand it afterwards you will be creating more work for yourself because you'll have to reapply the surrounding finish that you remove. If you go down to B&Q you should be able to pick up a tube of filler that will just about match. The colour looks like it might be mahogany, you'll get the best match if you take you're bass down. Pack it in the hole and try and keep it as level to the finish as possible then as it starts to go off (usually withing about a minute of applying) wet the tip of your finger slightly and rub the filler until it's smooth - if you put on too much water it will soak it up and bubble out wards. It'll never be a perfect match but it might be sufficient to not annoy you anymore. Once it has throughly set you may be able to "polish" it up with some 00 wire wool (test under the p/g first) - I'm a 12-1500 grade sandpaper guy myself.

If the end result colour is way out you could try staining it with a blob of stain or tea or coffee.

Edited by Ou7shined

Wen I repositioned the button on my 'snowy-white' epi t-bird, I put a strap button screw in the hole with a nylon washer under it. Looks like a pointless bit of trim, but neater than a hole and possibly slightly less pointless than a non-used strap button. Last time I was asked what it was I said it was a laser and refused to demonstrate it for fear of blinding someone.

[quote name='neepheid' post='856357' date='Jun 3 2010, 06:02 PM']I'd just stick another strap button in the hole :)[/quote]

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='857044' date='Jun 4 2010, 11:51 AM']So would i.[/quote]

I'm quite liking this idea

Sounds like the way to go to me. Defo no filling and sanding as there's no way you will a) match the colour and :) contain the filling/sanding area to avoid ruining the finish around it. You must be getting bad neck dive to bother though, where are you moving the button to?
Mine stays right where it is but I know that some are worse than others.