Why become a member? ×

Thinking of getting a Line 6 LowDown 110.

ironside1966

Thinking of getting a Line 6 LowDown 110.

I need to rehearse with a few different bands I am not expecting miracles but I do not want to work with bands that are not sensible with the volume.
Will this amp work for and are there any better alternatives?
Size, it needs to be small as it will be stored in my studio and there is far too much stuff in there already. It needs to be light I cannot lift much because of health reasons, size is more important.
Price I don’t want to spend more then £400

[quote name='ironside1966' post='854759' date='Jun 2 2010, 12:49 PM']Thinking of getting a Line 6 LowDown 110.

I need to rehearse with a few different bands I am not expecting miracles but I do not want to work with bands that are not sensible with the volume.
Size, it needs to be small as it will be stored in my studio and there is far too much stuff in there already. It needs to be light I cannot lift much because of health reasons, size is more important.
Price I don’t want to spend more then £400[/quote]

I did a gig with a LD300 once, I thought no......... have I got to play through that................. I was pleasantly suprised, whatever anyone says the tone was ok, as long a you don't mess with the eq, it really doesn't work so well. The presets were nice and useable. I guess the 110 uses the same digi front end. Enjoy its a very versatile amp, the amp I mentioned is now one of the rehearsal amps at a rehearsal room, so has put up with a good few years of abuse, it still works great.
You could also check out some of the Hartke combo they are cheap and good workhorses the 12" kickback thing produces some nice bass. Its a bit dumb though it keeps falling over!!!

You sound like you'd fit with my previous cover band - I used a Line6 Studio 110 with them. My only concern would be they're not a loud 75 watts. Our drummer used an electronic kit and the guitarist used the Behringer POD thingy through vocal monitors for practice. I doubt the 110 would keep up with a real drum kit (especially if the drummer is anything other than mild mannered!) unless there's also PA support (unlikely in most practices) - admittedly I've never tried it myself. Other than that the wee amp cannot be beaten. I gigged with mine DI'd into our PA and it was a great live sound. The only thing I'd change would be to add a kick-back stand. They're so portable it's hilarious!

At the time I bought mine it was the best for what I wanted. For £400 there may be something better, but I doubt it would be better all round... unless you can find a Markbass 121P combo for that sort of money, but I highly doubt it!

Edited by Bigwan

I used one for a short time - it was a stop gap for a thing I was doing and worked admirably. It's a sturdy wee box and might be heavier than you would think - I took mine around town on the bus but a 10 minute walk from bus stop to gig had the arm feeling it! Might just be me being a bit soft but worth thinking about unless you plan on very short walks in/out of the gig.

Played through one of the bigger ones (LD 175 or LD 300 not sure which) on Sunday night at a gig and it kept feeding back when I engaged my dirt pedal - one of those things I guess and possibly not a consideration for your needs. The pre sets were dead handy though as there were 4 bands playing so I got my sound at sound check, stored it and was good to go when we played.

Overall I think I'd prefer a non modelling amp but for the versatility they aren't bad - especially if you're playing covers or in a couple of different bands. Try one and you'll be impressed either way I'm sure

[quote name='ironside1966' post='854759' date='Jun 2 2010, 12:49 PM']Thinking of getting a Line 6 LowDown 110.

Price I don’t want to spend more then £400[/quote]

To be honest for £400 you could pick up a second hand ASHDOWN LG350 and either the 2104H 2x10+horn or if you prefer old school the 15" cab. Everyone goes on that these heads arent loud enough, but if you use em with the superfly cabs they are very loud, and the eq really makes sense with the cabs as it is voiced for them. My rehearsal rig / warm up rig is a LG1000 and a superly 48 cab, I use it almost everyday, its great, everything is stupidly light and compact, the 48 and the 15 are very loud bassy cabs. The 2104 is more your rock / mark king type stuff. I played a gig at someones party outside with the LG1000 and 48 this sunday gone, as i didnt have anything else to hand / couldn't be arsed and it was pretty loud enough at 10 oclock. The heads go on fleabay for knowt (£100) as most people try and use em with other cabs the 15 cab is around £300 brand new. Its an awesome uk made job. You will get a very clear high fi sound with this and a very warm tone

Otherwise I would consider the Hartke Kickback 12 or 15 or the LD300 (its not that heavy) or even the Nemesis EN15, or some of the Laney products (very underated stuff, it sounds good) or if you can stretch to the Nemesis NS210 (£600) you won't go far wrong this is a great little amp. As the previous poster said, the Little lowdown is nice but will get lost against a drum kit and a couple of guitars even at volume regardless of watts available a single 10 just won't cut through, but shop around you ideally want a 2x10, 12" 15".

I agree with the above comments, they are a great amp, but just not quite loud enough with an acoustic kit, unless your drummer is meek.
If you're playing with PA support and can get it near ear height it would cover gigs, the DI out is good.
Also, something I considered was adding a speaker out skt so you could use it with a bigger cab. Now that might just about cut it for gigs. I wish I'd tried it with my Compact.

Although I will probably use this for recording I still have my gig stored under the stairs, it is too big and loud to use in the house, too heavy to and a pain to move. I just record with the odd singer songwriter often arranging a band and playing bass, a couple of hour’s rehearsal save double in the long run and get a better performance. I do the odd gig but I am not that bothered.
Thanks to Happy Jack for his kind offer

We have the Studio 110 in stock and, as a member of Basschat, we'd love to look after you. Other alternatives would be the EBS Classic Session 60 which we also have in stock or, as has been mentioned, Hartke which we can supply too. Feel free to get in touch and we can quote you prices which you should find very competitive.

Richard

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' post='857941' date='Jun 5 2010, 08:37 AM']We have the Studio 110 in stock and, as a member of Basschat, we'd love to look after you. Other alternatives would be the EBS Classic Session 60 which we also have in stock or, as has been mentioned, Hartke which we can supply too. Feel free to get in touch and we can quote you prices which you should find very competitive.

Richard[/quote]

Hi Thanks

I am in no hurry but very interested if you want to PM me with some prices, would you say the EBS has more usable clean volume then the line 6 I don't want to go much larger in size.

I have a LD150 and it can be great but can be very annoying.
Depending upon how much you like to 'play' with your sound, or just pick one voice and stick with it it's either great or useless.
I kinda get the feeling it''s having a personality crisis at times, trying to be everything and nothing at the same time.

I love my Line6 110 Studio to bits for home practice. I used to use it for my previous covers band rehearsals and I was perfectly happy with the sound and it kept everyone else's volume down. I think the rest of my band members would have preferred if I'd brought something a little bigger and louder though. If promoting the importance of practicing at a sensible volume level is your priority then I can say that my experience with this amp supports that.