Why become a member? ×

First blues jam!

Low End Bee

• 2 weeks later...

Back in dear old Blighty.
It all went rather well. It was at the Pepper Mill not the Pepper Pot and it was sitting in with the resident band rather than a jam.
The band were incredibly tight and pro. They included a fiddle/mandolin player and a sax too!
The bass player played mouth harp while I relieved (ahem) him.
We did some blues songs in G that I can't remember and a song called Suzie Q which I'm not familiar with but managed to get done OK after some very brief instructions.
I even played a Fender Jazz and enjoyed it! Played through a little Carvin head and two Aguilar 1x12s. Sounded nice.

It was a good confidence booster to play in front of a lot of dancing people without making a mug of myself. Don't ask about the bar crawl that ocurred afterwards. I was not a well man next day.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='867109' date='Jun 14 2010, 03:30 PM']Back in dear old Blighty.

We did some blues songs in G that I can't remember and a song called [b]Suzie Q[/b] which I'm not familiar with but managed to get done OK after some very brief instructions.[/quote]
Ah, Dale Hawkins. I-IV-VI-V - same as Long Train Running & BB King's The Thrill is Gone.

A couple of other variations...

II-V-I:

Shame about the non-existant sync!

Also:

And.. the I-V-IV:

Put 'em together...

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='867109' date='Jun 14 2010, 03:30 PM']It was a good confidence booster to play in front of a lot of dancing people without making a mug of myself. Don't ask about the bar crawl that ocurred afterwards. I was not a well man next day.[/quote]
Get yo' bad self on the Central Line on a Wednesday - [url="http://www.coachandhorsesbluesjam.com/home.shtml"]http://www.coachandhorsesbluesjam.com/home.shtml[/url]

It'd be great to see some BC-ers up there.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

I've played these tunes loads of times on gigs but have never heard the originals...so good thread.

You just need decent ears for the harmony so having players that will sign post this is the key...and a decent volume.
Anything else, and a hint about the changes and you'll be fine..