Why become a member? ×

Pointers to the world of 5-string basses

ead

I've recently put a 4-string bass onto the market place looking to get into 5-string basses; I know it won't make me a better player, but I love playing the low notes up the neck a bit.

However I realise that I don't actually know what a decent but inexpensive starting point would be. Any suggestions from my learned friends gratefully received :)

p.s. Would trading a Spector Legend 4 for a Legend 5 be a good starting point?

The Spector Legend 4 for a 5 sounds a reasonable idea. Depends on what string spacing you like. The Spectors, Warwicks and Ibeanez basses tend to have very narrow string spacing. If you want to maintain your wide spacing from your 4-string, have a look at the MIM Fender Jazz V. Yamaha 5ers tend to be widely spaced too, at around 18mm.

I started with the best bass I could find with a defined B string...
it wasn't as easy as it sounds.

This is where you have to go out and play a lot of 5's and hear how that string works..because if it doesn't...then the bass is pointless,
IMO

As a general guide..I'd start at Musicman or Laklands...and see where the rest fall above and below those prices.

[quote name='TPJ' post='853258' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:57 AM']The earlier MTD Kingstons are a good choice too.

+1 on the advice to go play some to see what floats your boat.[/quote]

Asolutely agree on prolonged testing, just looking for a good starting point!

MusicMan basses have the right formula, in my views their StingRay 5 started it all, way back in the 90's with the most comfortable fiver to play and their B strings is the tighter (in terms of sound defintition, that is, not tensile strength) in the market, not floppy like many other in the high end spectrum, and they've only gone and better it with their Bongo 5, 25th fiver, Big Al 5 and even their Sterling 5. Give those a try see how you like them.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='853032' date='May 31 2010, 09:57 PM']The Spector Legend 4 for a 5 sounds a reasonable idea. Depends on what string spacing you like. The Spectors, Warwicks and Ibeanez basses tend to have very narrow string spacing. If you want to maintain your wide spacing from your 4-string, have a look at the MIM Fender Jazz V. Yamaha 5ers tend to be widely spaced too, at around 18mm.[/quote]
I had a similar dilemma. I weighed my Spector Euro 4 in for a Euro 5 & the bridge string spacing drops from 19mm to 17mm, which initially felt a little cramped. I got round this by refusing play anything but the 5 and after a couple of months I was quite happy with it.

The switch from a 34" scale on the 4 to a 35" on the 5 caused more problems but I soon got used to it, YMMV however. I can now [4-5 months in], switch happily from the 35" Spector 5 to a 34" Fender P 4 with no problems.

I recently played Walmans US G&L L-2500 which I think has an 18mm spacing and that was ideal. If the G&L had a 35" scale [it's 34"], I would buy one tomorrow, but I like an extra inch, me. The G&L Tribute L-2500's seem to go for about £300-350.

Edited by johnnylager

What is your budget? I seem to be replying to every thread on this board today recommending Warwicks. Thumb and Streamer Stage 1 or 2 are great. They are not going for too much used. They might be outwith your budget I dont know.

When I bought my 5 string I looked around for a used bass because I felt I could get a better instrument for my budget than buying a new one of lesser quality for the same amount. There are loads of good basses for sale on this forum so you might find a bargin here.

But I would just keep my mind open, read reviews, try as many as you can in shops and make the final decision on that. You might also want to think about if you dont like the bass how easy will it be to resell it. If you be something not so main stream you might find it more difficult to sell.

Hope this helps at all reading it back feels like its not really answering anything.

Here is a post copied from the Ernie Ball forum in which Sterling Ball himself describes how the Stingray 5 came about:

[quote name='Big Poppa a.k.a. Sterling Ball']This was the first bass Dudley (Gimpel) and I did. We were sort of taking over where Leo left off....but not really. We intentionally modelled it after the Silo (guitar) because that was our work. We wanted to sort of make a statement and not just slap an extra string on the stingray and move on. This was a ground up instrument and we have taken heat from people all the time over our choice. It has not stopped it from being the number one selling USA 5 string......We gave the people what they wanted in the sub 5 and the new classic series but actually the SR5 continues to sell very well and is an established classic of its own... It worked out[/quote]

Edited by Grand Wazoo