Why become a member? ×

Cab advice

GBH

Hi all, i hope some of the more technically minded chaps among you could spare the time to go over my cabs specs.
I have a 4x10 cab made by a known british manufacturer,I'm not going to name it yet because I don't wish to potentially prejudice peoples views towards the manufacturer.
The cab itself sounds generally good,deep and punchy,even at reasonable volumes. However at certain points during a gig, it sounds as if the speakers are choking up,no real distortion as such but it's as if the sound kind of strangles. I'm using a Markbass little mark 2, usually with PA support and not at excessive volumes,playing mainly function type stuff.
The cab itself is fitted with celestion BN10 300X drivers. It has 2 100mm diameter,140mm long ports that are rear
mounted and the internal measurements are 570mmx540mmx395mm. I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding possible alteration of the ports,ie longer,shorter,smaller etc or any other suggestions.
Regards
Geoff.

Geoff,

Your cab seems to be tuned to 40Hz, which will help the B string a bit if you have one. If you want to try a higher tuning, take one of the port tubes out. That will tune the box to about 46Hz. I don't think it will make a lot of difference, personally.

Your speakers will handle at least 600 watts cleanly as long as you don't boost the very bottom end.My money's on the amp running out of steam, and I'd suggest you try a bigger amp, if you are can.

Hi guys,thanks for all of your responses. Mr Foxen, they are the original drivers. Wil, I generally boost the bass up to the first line and leave everything else flat although I may cut the high mid a small amount depending on the room. Stevie, the cab is 8ohm. If it is of any relevance I generally use a passive jazz bass.
Cheers
Geoff.

Right, in that case what Stevie said about the head running out of juice could well be the case, as it'll only be putting about 250 watts into it. Have you got the chance to pair it up with another 8ohm cab so your head is running at 500 watts into 4ohms?

According to the review in one of the bass mags (the only one that does proper tests, IMO), this amp has a compressor that comes in at 440W into a 4 ohm load. Using the two cabs together will give you a 4-ohm load - and increase the efficiency of your speakers - and should be very loud indeed.

I don't think there's any obvious answer here. I'd try substituting another amp to see if the same thing happens.

Edited by stevie