Why become a member? ×

Upgrading, where to start?

colleya

First of all, hello! Just found my way here and I'm in need of a bit of advice.

Having got back on the horse about a year ago, I picked up an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 head and 2x10 compact cab just to shift some air and compete with the rest of the band (one of our guitarists makes amps, very nice ones too, and very loud). The head only delivers about 90w into the 8ohm cab (as I understand it, I'm mostly of the plug and play persuasion), but it's been just about fine for pub gigs.

I'm now getting to the stage where I want to upgrade a bit. Space & portability is an issue, I play about a gig a month for fun (classic rock and a bit of blues), and I don't want to be lugging acres of gear about, or using up all my brownie points filling the front room with an 8x10 (or having to explain how much it cost). I'm after a punchy rock tone, so I've been looking around and come up with a few scenarios:

1. Get a little mark 250 (or a II, there's only about £20 difference on GAK) and keep the Ashdown cab. I'm happy with it up to now, but am wondering if it'll do the head justice.

2. Get the Ampeg Micro VR and keep the cab. Looks the business IMO, cheaper and even more portable.

3. Keep the head and upgrade the cab - the barefaced gear looks amazing, but I'd need to save up, and do I need such high end gear for what I do?

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion, or some advice.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by colleya

• 6 months later...

Hiya,

I'm in a very similar position. I've been using a Ashdown EB12-180 combo & Mag 210. Looking to upgrade and downsize and use one cab on a stand for live work.

Looking at the LM 250 and keeping the Mag 210.

Any thoughts anyone?

Edit: have just realised that this thread was started in may.... damn.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1055600' date='Dec 12 2010, 12:57 AM']Get a LMII (or LMIII), they're only slightly dearer & worth the extra. You can upgrade your Mag 210 at a later date if needs be.[/quote]

mm I was thinking about that.

Ok this is a stupid question that I should definitely know the answer to but the LMII is 300W at 8 ohm and the Mag 210 is 200W*. Is there any chance that I'll damage the spreakers?

* despite what's mentioned on [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=mag&ID=23"]here[/url] the back of the cab states 200W

apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm trying to become less of a plug and play musician.

[quote name='colleya' post='851872' date='May 30 2010, 02:43 PM']....I want to upgrade a bit. Space & portability is an issue, I play about a gig a month for fun (classic rock and a bit of blues), and I don't want to be lugging acres of gear about....[/quote]
The LM2 or 3 are the best amps in your list but you need more speakers first. Get another 210 and consider further upgrades later. Another 210 would get the full 180 watts out of your head and more speakers equals more volume and better tone.

[quote name='rOB' post='1055615' date='Dec 12 2010, 01:41 AM']....the LMII is 300W at 8 ohm and the Mag 210 is 200W*. Is there any chance that I'll damage the spreakers?....[/quote]
Don't turn it up full and back off the volume if the speakers start farting.