Why become a member? ×

I love looking at the pattern of bids...

[url="http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=120573488235&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN"]http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...=STRK:MEWA:BIDN[/url]

Check out the bid history of this.

I love the way in the space of a couple of hours the same person incrementally checks out the other bidder and bids it up... I always shy away from these auctions! :)

25th May at 17:56, s***a bids £100. That beats the previous high bidder of £80 and would have shown (at the time) as a bid of £85.

25th May at 18:58, h***c bids an amount of £350 or greater (we don't know yet). That tops the s***a bid of £100 and would have shown (at the time) as a bid of £105.

27th May between 21:36 and 22:09, s***a decides to see just how high h***c was prepared to bid. Each incremental bid simply pushes up the displayed value of the h***c bid until s***a realises that he's wasting his time and gives up.

Given that these basses normally sell new for maybe $700, a bid of £350 is hardly outrageous.

Am I missing something?

[quote name='Johnston' post='850317' date='May 28 2010, 01:55 PM']I haven't. It's one of the reasons I usually use snipe-it. That way no one can bid you up and you will never go over your original value.

I usually will put the snipe-it on near the last day and I have walked away from a few collection only listings. Mainly because I reckoned if it did go cheap then the buyer would likely back out. I keep the items in my watch list mind and quite a few have come back on with a decent minimum bid or reserve set 2nd time round. I've even seen a few re-listed on a different account in the same location and the same pics and the same 'this is my favourite bass selling it but keeping the other 2 dozen etc etc' bull.

I reckon they should show locations of bidders that way it would be more obvious if it was or wasn't dodgy bidding. Like if someone with a low feedback keeps bidding up an auction and the location is the same as the sellers then there's more of a chance its dodgy compared to a bidder doing it from 100 miles away.[/quote]

It was better when they used to show bidders ID's because you could then check out their feedback. Now you only see the feedback score they have, you don't know how much that has been reduced by negative feedback. For instance h**c's feedback score is 26 yet the positive feedback is showing as 0% - why?

Edited by tazza1

From eBay:
"The positive Feedback percentage is calculated based on the total number of positive and negative Feedback ratings for transactions that ended in the last 12 months, excluding repeat Feedback from the same member for purchases done within the same calendar week."
So they could have bought 26 items five years ago and not bought anything since: because there's no feedback in the last 12 months their feedback score is 0%.