Why become a member? ×

Is this a bad idea??

Linus27

I am on the hunt about for a half decent Fender fretless Jazz bass. I have fallen in love big time with the Walnut Satin colour as seen in the bass in this thread.

[attachment=50643:bass02.jpg]

However, this colour only comes in the CIJ Fender Re-Issue Jazz or the Squire Jazz bass. The CIJ Fender is going to be pretty impossible to find. So, would it be a bad move to buy the Squire Jazz and pimp it? I would change the neck to a lined Fender fretless, the pickups to a set of Barts (my favourite pickups) and the chrome hardware (tuners, bridge, neck plate, controls and plate) to black/gunmetal Fender ones. So the only Squire part remaining would be the Agathis Walnut Satin body.

Is this a really dumb thing to do or am I going to get a half decent fretless bass in the end? I already have a Squire VMJ Fretless which is very good but compared to my Stingray, Warwick, ESP Jazz, you can tell the build quality is not on the same level. This is the Squire I would look to pimp.

[attachment=50642:40767_l.jpg]

What you think. Stupid idea or a good plan?

I had one of those Squiers, very nice basses. I sold it to Maxrossall and you can see it here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68935&hl=aria+jazz"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=aria+jazz[/url]

And here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35741&hl=natural+stunners"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...atural+stunners[/url]

It's a lot darker than the stock photo, not so much as in Max's photos. The one i took is probably the closest to it's actual colour.

Funnily enough i also stuck Barts in mine and it sounded great (so they should, cost as much as the bass!) but as they're a darker sound i think the standard pickups gave a more typical jazz sound.

I think it would be a good idea, the Squier i had was very well made, much better than the MIM Fenders i tried at the time of buying it. Very individual looking basses too

You could buy a Warmoth walnut body and pimp that rather than buying an entire bass. It'll be better quality than the Agathis.

Like this:-

[url="http://www.fyrewyrm.com/bass.html"]http://www.fyrewyrm.com/bass.html[/url]

Edited by rjb

Thanks for the input guys.

Rich, that was kind of what I was worried about. My VMJ is very good but I would like something much better and I was worried the Walnut Squire may not give me much more than what I already have. I may have to give up on the idea of Walnut Satin as I really do not think I will find a CIJ model. Such a shame Fender only do their standard Jazz basses in two colours, black and sunburst. Back to the drawing board.

I'd get a standard MIJ alder jazz body from brandoni for about £100, colour it the desired colour with woodstain and then danish oil it - I did this (but with a lighter woodstain) on a brandoni tele body & it looks great and was very easy to apply. You could probably get a suitable neck from brandoni as well. Then build it up with whatever hardware suits the budget.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='849053' date='May 26 2010, 11:55 PM']I'm quite sure there is a CIJ walnut satin jazz in the for sale section(try a search) it's fretted however but it would save you time to just defret the neck than huntfor a fretlezz one.[/quote]

That original picture and link I posted is from that thread. I would had bought that bass for sure but I missed it by a whisker. Really gutted to be honest. Its stunning :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='849053' date='May 26 2010, 11:55 PM']I'm quite sure there is a CIJ walnut satin jazz in the for sale section(try a search) it's fretted however but it would save you time to just defret the neck than huntfor a fretlezz one.[/quote]

There was one for sale up until Monday. It's sitting a couple of feet away from me and the frets are staying on it (for the time being).

Having done some homework on them, I'd say it's going to be quite difficult to get a hold of another one in the UK. They're non-export and they aren't made any more. I get the impression they're fairly rare.

Fender Japan do a gloss version of it, but it's not cheap... at recommended retail it would cost around £1000 to import a new one, but you could probably source one for around £850 all told.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='849060' date='May 27 2010, 12:10 AM']There was one for sale up until Monday. It's sitting a couple of feet away from me and the frets are staying on it (for the time being).

Having done some homework on them, I'd say it's going to be quite difficult to get a hold of another one in the UK. They're non-export and they aren't made any more. I get the impression they're fairly rare.

Fender Japan do a gloss version of it, but it's not cheap... at recommended retail it would cost around £1000 to import a new one, but you could probably source one for around £850 all told.[/quote]

Damn, its you that bought it :) :rolleyes:

To be honest, if I had bagged it, I would had probably kept it fretted and de-fretted my ESP ... maybe. I agree, it is going to be pretty impossible to find another. One of the Jap import websites has the gloss one but thats at £899 and way more than I wanted to pay. Unless you sell your one, I can't see me ever finding one.

So how is it the bass? Does it sound good and look as good as the pictures?

[quote name='Linus27' post='849066' date='May 27 2010, 12:25 AM']Damn, its you that bought it :) :rolleyes:

To be honest, if I had bagged it, I would had probably kept it fretted and de-fretted my ESP ... maybe. I agree, it is going to be pretty impossible to find another. One of the Jap import websites has the gloss one but thats at £899 and way more than I wanted to pay. Unless you sell your one, I can't see me ever finding one.

So how is it the bass? Does it sound good and look as good as the pictures?[/quote]

It's very nice indeed. Very resonant ash body, silky smooth neck, no dead spots. Looks nicer in person.

Best Jazz I've played in a while.

It's interesting that the Satin Jazz is mentioned in a fretless thread. As the previous owner of the little beauty, it had sat in a bag for months while I had mulled over converting it to fretless. I already have a workhorse CIJ 62 Jazz so the satin was in effect a duplicate. I came very close to making the journey to Glasgow to discuss removing the fretboard (completely) and replacing with an un-lined rosewood slab. It would then have been the coolest fretless Jazz in existence. The cost of that on top of its original value (not to mention the shipping/charges etc from Japan) would have taken it over my self-imposed limit for carting around to gigs (i.e. I would have been 'fretting' about anything happening to it).

I'm determined to find a half-decent looking un-lined fretless Jazz somewhere, as my current fretless is a P, and I just don't get on with the neck as well as a Jazz. I tried to find a trade for it on here last year sometime - anyone remember this? -

Once again, it's another one sitting in a bag doing nothing..... (I really must stop acquiring stunning looking Japanese Fenders).

For the amount of money involved, those Walnut Squiers actually look like a no-lose situation no matter what is eventually done to them - the only restricting factor is the word 'Squier' on the headstock. I know they are perfectly good guitars, I know they are well built, I know that 'name-on-the-headstock' snobbery is evil and self-defeating... but... but...

[quote name='Starless' post='849151' date='May 27 2010, 08:48 AM']It's interesting that the Satin Jazz is mentioned in a fretless thread. As the previous owner of the little beauty, it had sat in a bag for months while I had mulled over converting it to fretless. I already have a workhorse CIJ 62 Jazz so the satin was in effect a duplicate. I came very close to making the journey to Glasgow to discuss removing the fretboard (completely) and replacing with an un-lined rosewood slab. It would then have been the coolest fretless Jazz in existence. The cost of that on top of its original value (not to mention the shipping/charges etc from Japan) would have taken it over my self-imposed limit for carting around to gigs (i.e. I would have been 'fretting' about anything happening to it).

I'm determined to find a half-decent looking un-lined fretless Jazz somewhere, as my current fretless is a P, and I just don't get on with the neck as well as a Jazz. I tried to find a trade for it on here last year sometime - anyone remember this? -

Once again, it's another one sitting in a bag doing nothing..... (I really must stop acquiring stunning looking Japanese Fenders).

For the amount of money involved, those Walnut Squiers actually look like a no-lose situation no matter what is eventually done to them - the only restricting factor is the word 'Squier' on the headstock. I know they are perfectly good guitars, I know they are well built, I know that 'name-on-the-headstock' snobbery is evil and self-defeating... but... but...[/quote]

Interesting story. When I saw the pictures of your Walnut Jazz, I imagined it would look stunning as a Fretless, either unlined like your idea or with walnut coloured lines. I think it would had looked super cool especially with all the black hardware. However, if I had got it from you, still not sure I could had gone through changing it to fretless as its such a great looking rare bass and not 100% I would had wanted to muck about with it :)

You have now got me thinking again about pimping the Walnut Squire :rolleyes: Not so worried about the headstock as I would buy a lined fretless Fender neck for it. In fact everything would be changed on it, only leaving the Squire body.

Just using the body on a 'cheaper' bass is a good idea. I am in a phase of trying to mix'n'match my basses to get the correct combination of instruments so that I finally have my perfect set-up.

I have a 62 Jazz (CIJ) and the neck is just perfect, but I prefer the shape and simplicity of the P body (and single pick-up). So my ultimate quest is to find a P body to go with the Jazz neck. The Jazz neck is a vintage tinted job so finding a P body that goes with that look is tricky. I recently acquired a 'natural' fretted P and have tried that body with the tinted Jazz neck, but they are not a close enough colour match (headstock/body either has to match totally or be completely different to work IMO - something that doesn't [i]quite[/i] match just looks like it's been stuck on).

The ideal body would be a sunburst P, but finding that difficult to source without a neck on it, but have also been looking at white bodies and that could work. So far I have been looking at Fender Japan, but a Squier body in white might just be the answer (buy the whole thing then [s]throw the neck aw[/s]... sell the neck on).

Does the quality of the body of a bass really matter that much? It's just the lump that all the important stuff (neck, pickups) is attached to surely.

There is also the issue of getting screw holes to line up, pocket tightness etc.... nightmare.

[quote name='Starless' post='849176' date='May 27 2010, 09:25 AM']Just using the body on a 'cheaper' bass is a good idea. I am in a phase of trying to mix'n'match my basses to get the correct combination of instruments so that I finally have my perfect set-up.

I have a 62 Jazz (CIJ) and the neck is just perfect, but I prefer the shape and simplicity of the P body (and single pick-up). So my ultimate quest is to find a P body to go with the Jazz neck. The Jazz neck is a vintage tinted job so finding a P body that goes with that look is tricky. I recently acquired a 'natural' fretted P and have tried that body with the tinted Jazz neck, but they are not a close enough colour match (headstock/body either has to match totally or be completely different to work IMO - something that doesn't [i]quite[/i] match just looks like it's been stuck on).

The ideal body would be a sunburst P, but finding that difficult to source without a neck on it, but have also been looking at white bodies and that could work. So far I have been looking at Fender Japan, but a Squier body in white might just be the answer (buy the whole thing then [s]throw the neck aw[/s]... sell the neck on).

Does the quality of the body of a bass really matter that much? It's just the lump that all the important stuff (neck, pickups) is attached to surely.

There is also the issue of getting screw holes to line up, pocket tightness etc.... nightmare.[/quote]

This is also what I wondered, if the body is really going to make that much difference. The Squire is made off Agathis which if my Squire VMJ is anything to go by, sounds superb. However, I have heard the wood is very soft and crumbles like powder. Last thing you want is to strip it and find the new hardware won't hold because the threads have crumbled away and the wood is to soft.

Another option I thought of last night is getting a Sterling RAY34 and defretting that but I do really fancy the Jazz tone for my fretless.

[quote name='Starless' post='849151' date='May 27 2010, 08:48 AM']As the previous owner of the little beauty, it had sat in a bag for months while I had mulled over converting it to fretless. I already have a workhorse CIJ 62 Jazz so the satin was in effect a duplicate. I came very close to making the journey to Glasgow to discuss removing the fretboard (completely) and replacing with an un-lined rosewood slab.[/quote]

I'm glad you didn't!

How are you getting on with the bull fiddle?

Since you're thinking about replacing all the hardware (and neck), why not just go for broke and get a [i]proper[/i] walnut body (rather than alder, stained to look like walnut). This has already been suggested, but Warmoth do them:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=B1771&Body=2"]http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/Showcas...1771&Body=2[/url]

You will have to pay shipping and import duty on top of that price, but it shouldn't work out TOO expensive.

[b]Edit:[/b] You could also get a neck from them:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=bn2249&Body=1"]http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/Showcas...2249&Body=1[/url]

[b]Edit (again):[/b] Warmoth will even veneer the headstock with walnut for $45 extra, which will get it looking like the original!

[url="http://www.warmoth.com:80/Bass/Necks/BassPegHeadVeneer.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com:80/Bass/Necks/BassPegHeadVeneer.aspx[/url]

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='dlloyd' post='849224' date='May 27 2010, 10:22 AM']How are you getting on with the bull fiddle?[/quote]

Considering I don't get on with a fretless Precision neck, the 'beast' is a bit over the top... my left forearm hurts like hell today.. but I think that is just muscles which have never really been used saying "What the hell are you doing to us!!". Even plonking out basic root/fifths makes you close your eyes, nod in time to the music and say to yourself "Mmm, yeah, jazz baby...". Love it.

Great fun and well worth persevering with. I think some formal tuition is in order so that bad habits don't form too early...

[quote name='Starless' post='849241' date='May 27 2010, 10:40 AM']Considering I don't get on with a fretless Precision neck, the 'beast' is a bit over the top... my left forearm hurts like hell today.. but I think that is just muscles which have never really been used saying "What the hell are you doing to us!!". Even plonking out basic root/fifths makes you close your eyes, nod in time to the music and say to yourself "Mmm, yeah, jazz baby...". Love it.

Great fun and well worth persevering with. I think some formal tuition is in order so that bad habits don't form too early...[/quote]

Glad you're enjoying it.

Forearm pain would probably indicate your technique needs some adjustment, so I'd definitely go for a few lessons.

[quote name='Starless' post='849315' date='May 27 2010, 12:11 PM']This seems to be an incredibly handsome bass for not a lot of money.....

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-P-Bass-Special---Walnut-Satin~ID~3573.asp"]Satin Bass[/url][/quote]

I saw that last night also and thought mmm, fretless precision, could be interesting.

[quote name='Starless' post='849176' date='May 27 2010, 09:25 AM']The ideal body would be a sunburst P, but finding that difficult to source without a neck on it,[/quote]
I bought a MIJ sunburst P body from brandoni - it is identical to the one on my MIJ Fender '62 reissue. It was a while ago, but they might still have some.

[quote name='~tl' post='849236' date='May 27 2010, 10:35 AM']Since you're thinking about replacing all the hardware (and neck), why not just go for broke and get a [i]proper[/i] walnut body (rather than alder, stained to look like walnut). This has already been suggested, but Warmoth do them:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=B1771&Body=2"]http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/Showcas...1771&Body=2[/url]

You will have to pay shipping and import duty on top of that price, but it shouldn't work out TOO expensive.

[b]Edit:[/b] You could also get a neck from them:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=bn2249&Body=1"]http://www.warmoth.com:80/Showcase/Showcas...2249&Body=1[/url]

[b]Edit (again):[/b] Warmoth will even veneer the headstock with walnut for $45 extra, which will get it looking like the original!

[url="http://www.warmoth.com:80/Bass/Necks/BassPegHeadVeneer.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com:80/Bass/Necks/BassPegHeadVeneer.aspx[/url][/quote]

This could be an interesting project and quite fun. At least it would be my own personel fretless. Is Warmoth the only company that do this sort of thing or are there others?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='849321' date='May 27 2010, 12:19 PM']I bought a MIJ sunburst P body from brandoni - it is identical to the one on my MIJ Fender '62 reissue. It was a while ago, but they might still have some.[/quote]

Trying to access their website (Google turns them up - brandoniguitars.co.uk) but get re-directed to one of those all-purpose guitar shop pages. Do they still exist?

[quote name='Linus27' post='849322' date='May 27 2010, 01:20 PM']This could be an interesting project and quite fun. At least it would be my own personel fretless. Is Warmoth the only company that do this sort of thing or are there others?[/quote]
There are other companies who make aftermarket bodies/necks (WD, Allparts, etc), but I've not come across any that have the range of options that Warmoth do. Most seem to only offer bodies in alder/ash with maple/rosewood fingerboards.