Why become a member? ×

Status Series 2000

stingrayfan

I've been having a bit of an 80s flashback of late and have found myself lusting after a Status again. Bloody GAS!
I can't help it, it's the graphite. There's only really one I've got eyes for and that's an all-graphite Series 2000, preferably in that greeny/grey tint. Anyone got one? Any good? Am I out of my mind?

Going for a lie down now...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='92205' date='Nov 21 2007, 04:12 PM']I've been having a bit of an 80s flashback of late and have found myself lusting after a Status again. Bloody GAS!
I can't help it, it's the graphite. There's only really one I've got eyes for and that's an all-graphite Series 2000, preferably in that greeny/grey tint. Anyone got one? Any good? Am I out of my mind?

Going for a lie down now...[/quote]

I've sort of lusted after one on and off as I love the feel and playability of graphite. The only thing stopping me from buying one was that there was absolutely no demand for that kind of sound in any of the music I played. Its got a particularly distinctive tone which probably hasn't dated that well. I sold my long cherished Jaydee Mark King for pretty much the same reasons.

No mate, you're definitely not out of your mind. Once you've had a Status, you'll never look back!

Although I've just sold my KingBass V, I'm off to visit Rob & Dawn at Colchester in a couple of weeks to pick up one new Status & order another. I've been a Status player for 19 years & always will be. Once you've had that ease of playing & the amazing graphite 'growl', you'll be hooked!

I had an S2000 for a short time many years ago, and it was not unike the current all-graphite Stealth model. Amazing to play & very fast! There's a stealth headed on the forum for sale. That's more of a modern equivalent with the same basic sound, just different electronics.

Although I love my wooden basses, there's something about a Status. Playing my wooden basses is nice enough, it's just like driving around in your Mondeo when you know you have a Ferrari in the garage :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='92372' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:08 PM']No mate, you're definitely not out of your mind. Once you've had a Status, you'll never look back!

Although I've just sold my KingBass V, I'm off to visit Rob & Dawn at Colchester in a couple of weeks to pick up one new Status & order another. I've been a Status player for 19 years & always will be. Once you've had that ease of playing & the amazing graphite 'growl', you'll be hooked!

I had an S2000 for a short time many years ago, and it was not unike the current all-graphite Stealth model. Amazing to play & very fast! There's a stealth headed on the forum for sale. That's more of a modern equivalent with the same basic sound, just different electronics.

Although I love my wooden basses, there's something about a Status. Playing my wooden basses is nice enough, it's just like driving around in your Mondeo when you know you have a Ferrari in the garage :)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
Bang! goes me bookend, Not to worry!, still got one Ferrari in the Garage......i wouldnt drive anything else! :huh:

I'd definitely go for it - I bought a Series II new back in '85 and it's still gorgeous (virtually pristine - being headless, it's a bit less liable to getting knocks on cramped stages). I know they're not to everybody's taste, but there's a real elegance in the line/design of a Status and the sound is undoubtedly unique (I've played mine in all kinds of bands, and as Dr Dave suggests, it frequently doesn't seem to fit, but who cares?!) Then there's the playability. I've been playing for a long (very long) time and I've had the opportunity to play some really lovely high-end basses. I'm playing mainly on a Sei now, but going back to the Status (and my old Ripper!) is always a joy...a bit like going home.

Edited by lozbass