Why become a member? ×

just why is sustain so important on a bass

iconic

Ok, you need to bear with me here, I can be a bit slow, I'm still learning a lot about bass.....

..........but just why is sustain one of THE benchmarks for a good bass, or bass review, or anything when mentioning a bass of any flavour?

....the only time I need any 'sustain' is when playing The Chinese Way...there is long open E string note during the bridge/chorus and even then it isn't a problem, apart from that song I'm usually struggling to play while muting all my ringadinging strings....

I have even read of guys putting foam over strings in their Jass bass ashtrays, I have an elastic band on the end of my neck....so I'm a little puzzled by the 'sustain' thing.

[size=1]...or this an elephant in the room phalic thing, you know, long type car bonnet thing....my bass has oodles of [i]sustaaaaaaaiiiiin[/i][/size]

Edited by iconic

A bass that has good sustain usually has good tone as well. It is often the sign of a well-designed and well-made bass IMO!

I wouldn't say its a "bench-mark" though. If you play predominantly staccato style, the sustain is superfluous anyway...

Edited by Conan

BRX's statement captures it in a nutshell.
There are TWO aspects to sustain, though. Quantity or duration (which has just been covered above), and Quality- The way in which EVERY note you play decays.
Does the sustain drop away gently in an almost exponential fashion, leaving a greater emphasis on harmonic content as it goes, finishing an a warm glow that echoes the original note? Or does it sound like a wounded Wildebeest on its last legs?
Sustain is an important characteristic of a fretless instrument, IMO at least...

Sustain is a pointer that all is put together well.

It isn't the open strings that are an issue..it is the sustain across the board on fretted notes.
And as said...it is something you can get rid of with decent damping should you want to...but if you don't have it..there isn't much you can do to call it up.

Playing the fretted fifth note on the E string and getting a big dull thud is a serious pile of poo which you just can't have, IMV..or any other note for that matter.