Why become a member? ×

Pre-EB MusicanStingRay Electronics Fault

faceman

I received my pre-EB StingRay today and besides being a workhouse and feeling fantastic, the electronics appear to be dead. I've bought a new battery but it has made no difference. My friend suggested briefly that there could be a loose conncetion or incorrect wiring. Following this [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm"]http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm[/url] for the late-MM period (1983, when the bass was made), it appears to be wired correctly. However, the original input jack has been changed (I still have it) and am thinking this may be the cause of the problems.

I made a little sound file of the recording here - [url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1480908/StingRayProblem.mp3"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1480908/StingRayProblem.mp3[/url] to demonstrate the problem. The most interesting part is at 0:13, when I push the cable all the way in and it starts loud and seems to die. The first half is with the jack half way in and the second is all the way. It's the same wire I've used countless times with other basses without a problem.

Any thoughts? I want to play my new StingRay :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='839826' date='May 17 2010, 03:40 PM']I does sound a little like you have a short to earth somewhere which is causing the circuit to momentarily blink out. Don't play it anymore until you have checked it over thoroughly as you may be doing irreparable damage.[/quote]

Solved the problem! I was using a stereo jack into my computer and it is indeed wired incorrectly. To quote my friend "on a mono jack, the sleeve and ring are connected, so the weird wiring makes no difference. With the stereo lead only partly in, not all the connections are made. Those that are are not connected to the right places"

Therefore, it's fine! We will rewire the input jack when time allows so it copes with a stereo lead :)

[quote name='faceman' post='839831' date='May 17 2010, 03:43 PM']Solved the problem! I was using a stereo jack into my computer and it is indeed wired incorrectly. To quote my friend "on a mono jack, the sleeve and ring are connected, so the weird wiring makes no difference. With the stereo lead only partly in, not all the connections are made. Those that are are not connected to the right places"

Therefore, it's fine! We will rewire the input jack when time allows so it copes with a stereo lead :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
If you have any more trouble with it....Send it to! :lol: .......I'll get me Coat!

Thanks mate, will keep that in mind :)

I'm so glad it's not a bigger problem because it feels such a good bass and has an amazing tone. I want to put the original jack back in, which disables the power if there is no jack in! Therefore battery will last longer

[quote name='faceman' post='839867' date='May 17 2010, 04:15 PM']Thanks mate, will keep that in mind :)

I'm so glad it's not a bigger problem because it feels such a good bass and has an amazing tone. I want to put the original jack back in, which disables the power if there is no jack in! Therefore battery will last longer[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
Any Pics?

Sorry guys, I'm desperately revising for a big exam tomorrow so no time for photos but I will do some. Some notes on it through

* '83 StingRay body in white, with the usual road worn damage for a 25+ year old bass
* 2EQ original electronics, original input jack replace but still have original
* Neck from an *84 Sabre, excellent feel and much quicker than any other MM bass I have played
* Bridge is not original, appears to be a Schallar through-bridge. I'm convinced it's bigger than usual a standard bridge (see below). However it does keep in tune very nicely!
* Original tuners with Hipshot D-Tuner on E string
* Had an awful mirrored pick guard that I replaced for a standard MM Black one. However, it sits on the top part of the bridge and it appears the bridge covers up the hole. I'll show some photos to get some advice on how to solve this one. The screw holes also didn't exactly match some screws are at an angle.

However, it feels and sounds bloody excellent! It has a very strong G string and the whole thing is just the best StingRay I've ever played. It's not too bright like my old SUB but it's got a lot of bite. And all for only £750! It may be a Frankenbass but it's a pre-EB StingRay for a very small amount.

I would possibly be on the lookout for a bridge from one of the new classic series ones as finding an '83 bridge will be hard!

That's the one. My friend bought it and decided it didn't offer much more than his other StingRay. It was a close call between this and a newer 2000 2EQ StingRay, also with some battle damage, that was of a similar price. However, I just loved the feel of the neck, tone and road worn look of this baby and considering most StingRays are now going for £700 minimum, £750 didn't seem too bad at all. They may not all be the original parts but it is definatly a pre-EB bass together :) It feels a world away from the old standard EBMM I've played in the past and old my SUB bass.

He bought it for that price from that thread and probably could have sold it for more privately. We came to an agreement because we are mates so I got it for this price, which we were both happy with. Yes it's a bit of a frankenbass but I'm not bothered too much...would like the bridge sorted at some point, as it's oversized, missing mutes but does hold tuning and intonation very well. And here's a nice photo with the black pickguard...

Edited by faceman

[quote name='faceman' post='842712' date='May 20 2010, 12:12 AM']... considering most StingRays are now going for [b]£700 minimum[/b]...[/quote]
Try 600. (and that's for a fully working all original 'ray)

[quote name='faceman' post='842712' date='May 20 2010, 12:12 AM']... He bought it for that price from that thread and probably could have [b]sold it for more[/b] privately....[/quote]
I'm not so sure... but hey if you love it and feel it's worth that much that's what counts the most.

Now I used to think they were £600 but they have been creeping up in price recently, depending on condition. The 2000 one I was looking at was £650, others have been £700 but I haven't seen one go for £600 for at least a year.

This is true, if a bass is right for you then the price doesn't matter :) However, looking at this one at the Gallery (http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1291) which is up for £1,600. Others might have paid the same for a newer one but I do like my mojo on basses. The condition is very similar to the one I have, the only difference is the bridge is original. Considering mine was less than half the price, I'll take it :rolleyes:

I've posted on the EB forum about a bridge and emailed MM Customer Services about a new one from their classic series. Any other places to look? I just fancy having those mutes, as well as the look.

[quote name='faceman' post='842722' date='May 20 2010, 12:34 AM']Now I used to think they were £600 but they have been creeping up in price recently, depending on condition. The 2000 one I was looking at was £650, others have been £700 but I haven't seen one go for £600 for at least a year.

This is true, if a bass is right for you then the price doesn't matter :) However, looking at this one at the Gallery (http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1291) which is up for £1,600. Others might have paid the same for a newer one but I do like my mojo on basses. The condition is very similar to the one I have, [b]the only difference is the bridge is original[/b]. Considering mine was less than half the price, I'll take it :rolleyes:

I've posted on the EB forum about a bridge and emailed MM Customer Services about a new one from their classic series. Any other places to look? I just fancy having those mutes, as well as the look.[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81253"]There's[/url] one on here for £595 (not original pup but it is included)

And the 'ray you linked to - the differences are that it is older, all original and not a bitsa. :lol:

Nice, didn't see that one! Am guessing finding a pickup and fitting would be a good £100, unless you wanted to keep what is in there. The 3EQ Honeyburst he was asking £750, Andy Baxter was asking £725 but got him down to £675 for 2EQ. £650-700 seems to be standard for MMs these days.

I'm guessing you would have paid less for my frankenbass? Personally, something that sounds better, feels better and is known to be from a good era is worth paying a little more for. I'll agree the bridge isn't great as it doesn't like great, lacks mutes so I am going to attempt to find something original or similar to replace it. Again, I'm happy so I'll just absorb the criticism on behalf of my *special* bass no one likes :)

I bought a 2006 'ray pup recently for £50 and fitted it for free - I also have an original '78 'ray pup which I bought off US ebay for under £50 just for a rainy day.
Anyway that 595 'ray has the original included in the deal once he finds it.

I'm not criticising your bass (providing the neck, which has already had work on it for a known Sabre issue, holds out) far from it man. I'm more at odds with your "mate" flipping it for such a mark up. With friends like that who needs enemas. :)

The situation was that we were discussing StingRays and I showed him the ones I was contemplating buying. I asked if he was planning on selling on this '83 baby and he said yes as he didn't need it and was looking for another type of bass. It was purchased at what one might consider less than its true value (the fellow sold it at that price because it is what he paid for it, as said on the thread) and was going to sell it on to fund a future purchase. We agreed to pay the minimum he needed to do the upgrade to his bass and that's what happened. Yes, he made a profit but not as big as he could have made, this is why it was a friendly purchase, as it was a favour to me to sell it for less :)

The neck feels great and has already had work as you said...any thoughts on where I could look for a bridge matey? There doesn't seem to be an official source of MM spare parts anywhere.

Edited by faceman

You'll be lucky to get an MM bridge let along a pre-EB. And I doubt the mighty sages on the EB forum will be forthcoming.
Your best bet is to set up an ongoing [b]worldwide[/b] search on t'bay and keep your fingers crossed - for some reason MM parts seem to come up more often in Canada.
Of course for a quick fix, there are plenty of non MM cheapo replacements out there, which although will help your new pickguard fit properly and look a bit nicer, will also leave you in the same predicament regarding originality and possibly loss of tone.

In terms of functionality, the bridge is perfect, it's simply look, that stupid plate and the mutes! I didn't realise there was a problem with getting EB spare parts. Thought it was like Fender were you can just get them. I'd probably even take a standard MM bridge but not sure I want to whack on a third party one..

Yeah EBMM don't sell spares and because people so seldom customize or change anything on their MMs the market for second hand parts is sparse to say the least. It is possible to get replacment parts for worn or broken items but this service is only extended to those with whole basses and a serial. :)
When I bought that '06 pup I'd been waiting for about a year for one to come onto the market and in the end I did some detective work and chased it up myself. MM is nothing like Fender (the company).

FWIW i've got a 79 Ray but it has the John East Pre EB pre amp and a Nordstrand Pre EB equiv pick up, sounds exactly like my mates all original 78 Ray, not any difference to either of our ears. Paid £750 for it IRC. Great bass, has all the zing of the MM sound and the warthm of age, although the body had has a refinish. I keep thinking about stripping it back to the bare wood but a) i don't know how too & :rolleyes: i don't know what lies beneath. Also if i were to sell it i reckon i would try for more than £750 - afterall the seller did say i got a bargain too.

However if any one has got for sale any vitnage mutes or pick ups or pre amp for pre EB Stingrays please do get in touch because i would like to restore the beauty to 'kind of' all original. :)

I was going to link the neck of your bass with the body of this one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67787&hl=sabre"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67787&hl=sabre[/url] to make a Sabre (and then sell on the fretless Stingray). I pontificated too long. oh well.

Congrats on your Stingray, Pre-EB 'rays go for a lot more than this, yours is a bitsa, which keeps its value down but you haven't done too bad at all. think we should recognise the integrity of the previous seller in keeping to what he paid for it. I very much regret not plunging in myself.

Greg

Just to shake things up a bit mint pre eb's are up and away now, The one at the beginning of this thread at the gallery has an issue in as much as the neck has been sanded down,Does not mention that in the advert does it! I have been in talks with a few people on here about possible sales to me, All of them for a standard all original pre eb but in various conditions paint wise,All of them £2000! no offers. Thats the bench mark vintage and rare also told me for originals and that £1595 is a fair reflection for the sanded neck.Does that make the "frankensabre" a good price or not im not sure either way anymore but if you like it then its all good. :)

Talk about luck! I did a post on the EB forum and fellow has emailed me and offered me a pre-EB bridge for $150 with a brand new mute assembly. He said it's got hollow saddles so it's pre-EB but not through-body stringing, which is what I need! It's used with some scratches and a little rust in some areas but overall very good condition for its age. It has the mute screws but not the mute spring assembly. Said he has an assembly he has one he can add on to it the deal as well. Thoughts?

He has said he would throw in a new set of the two large screws that are on either side of the saddles but said I would have to check your bass to see if the original bushings for those two screws are still in the bass. What are these?!