Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Late 50's Fender gigbag - $11,000

I'd never seen the original Fender gigbags, so was great to see this.
The bass is in beautiful condition, and is fast becoming a year for the Precision that I'm really really loving!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230472995753"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230472995753[/url]

Si

Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question...

Did vintage fenders rely on the big metal plate behind the pickguard to earth the output, or has this guy ripped a wire out? honestly, I've looked at diagrams a plenty, and rewired more guitars than I can remember, I've never got my hands on an all original pre-CBS though (and certainly never got to rip one apart) and never come across an output jack with only one wire going to it, anyone? :)

Shouldn't there be a ground wire from the back of the volume pot, to the tone to the jack?

To ask the old question: if its in such good condition is it a) a refin; :) extremely well looked after or; c) a complete dog to play and thusly been sat in some uncle's loft for 50 years?

[quote name='Delberthot' post='840303' date='May 17 2010, 10:20 PM']Shouldn't there be a ground wire from the back of the volume pot, to the tone to the jack?

I could be completely wrong but they don't look like Stackpole pots

To ask the old question: if its in such good condition is it a) a refin; :) extremely well looked after or; c) a complete dog to play and thusly been sat in some uncle's loft for 50 years?[/quote]

Yup, that headstock decal is right for the year.....Patent numbers under the 'Fender' logo started appearing in '61.

I think the fact that the bag is still in tact and in that good a condition suggests that this base has barely ever been played if it is genuine....the finish seems to be consistent with the condition of the bag, so might not be a refinish!?
That probably either means its been in a collection for the past 50 years......or it is indeed awful....I live in hope that its just an undiscovered gem! :)

Couldn't tell you about the wiring, I'm an electrics retard!

Si