Why become a member? ×

Advice please!

Rachel

Hello there,
I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping someone can help me...
I am looking to upgrade my gear due to increasing numbers of gigs and the need for something more powerful. I have looked at seemingly endless combinations of heads and cabs, tried to understand impedance (!) and I THINK I have a set up in mind.

I play an 80s Musicman Stingray.
I am looking at buying the Gallien Krueger GK 700 RBII head (480w, 4ohms) and pairing that with the Peavey 410BVX (350W continuous, 4ohms). I don't have thousands of pounds to play with, and this will set me back £785 which is right at the top end of my budget. I appreciate that there are probably better cabs I COULD buy, but I am trying to economise where I can.

Could anyone give me a little feedback on this potential setup - I think it will be powerful enough (medium venues, some outside festivals), what do you think? Also, does anyone have any experience with these brands in terms of quality, reliability, oomph(!) and value for money?

Sorry for all the questions! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Thank you,
Rachel.

Rachel

Your choice of gear is fine IMO. The GK stuff is bombproof, there are some 700 owners here I think. As for the cab, I think Peavey make the best built and sounding budget cabs of all. The 4 x 10 cabs are robust and give great sound if your in any type of band, except possibly jazz etc.

BUT, the Peavey stuff is heavy, so mind your back.

Regarding sufficient power, I would always DI at med venues and outside gigs, so it only needs to be
loud enough for on stage.

Your choice of amp head is great...GK amps are well reknowned for having lots of power.

The Peavey idea might be worth changing....what venues sizes are you playing?

Do you normally have the option to DI into the PA from your amp?

I do have a suggestion if you like GK amps. I suggested it to another forum member and he loves it.

They make new lightweight combos that are extremely good value for money and will have gobs of volume on tap. Plus the weight will be approx half of what you are looking at now.

If you go on the GK website, check for the MB212 Combo. 500w into two 12 inch speakers. Around £600 for the whole thing!!!

Simple thought from me is that you should have a good look around here on BC for a quality used rig.

GK stuff holds value reasonably well, Peavey probably less so.

I had a very quick look and found a huge GK rig up for sale with a 700RB head plus a pair of GK cabs for only £500!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68842&hl=700rb&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...700rb&st=20[/url]

I'm sure there's other stuff around as well :)

Personally I would never recommend a gig of any decent size without a DI for the bass (especially outdoors) but obviously that's going to depend on your PA and live sound person.

Argh! Ok, so I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I don't know...
Since posting on here, I have had some great advice and now I don't know if I should stick with my original plan (I like the frequency response on the Peavey cab as it seems to go down lower than others, but again - could not be too important??) or go for one of the following:

The combo amp recommended by Musicman 20
The rig posted by Molan
OR...I have just been offered an RB 1001 GK head, with a 212 + 210 SWR working pro rig for £700.

HELP! What's the best do we think? I am delighted and but totally out of my depth with these options!

this looks a lot for your money..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86994"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86994[/url]

GK is ok...the PV will be solid in every sense.
Make sure you have help to move it and if you do the more modular Warwick set-up covers quite a lot of basses...

[quote name='JTUK' post='838788' date='May 16 2010, 12:35 PM']this looks a lot for your money..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86994"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86994[/url]

Make sure you have help to move it and if you do the more modular Warwick set-up covers quite a lot of basses...[/quote]

That is a really nice set up for the money!

The thing I really like about this is the fact that the 'modular' set up will allow you to just use one or other cab on its own for smaller gigs and then bring them both in for larger ones.

Personally I'm a big fan of the 1x15 + 2x10 combination.

Those Warwick cabs look really cool on stage as well :)

Mat bought a cab from me recently - absolutely top guy, knows his stuff and a really good player. Straight as they come as well - definitely worth a chat with him and he'll tell you the good & bad points about the Warwick kit.

[quote name='Rachel' post='838785' date='May 16 2010, 12:34 PM']Argh! Ok, so I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I don't know...
Since posting on here, I have had some great advice and now I don't know if I should stick with my original plan (I like the frequency response on the Peavey cab as it seems to go down lower than others, but again - could not be too important??) or go for one of the following:

The rig posted by Molan
OR...I have just been offered an RB 1001 GK head, with a 212 + 210 SWR working pro rig for £700.

HELP! What's the best do we think? I am delighted and but totally out of my depth with these options![/quote]

When I was shopping for new amps/cabs, this is exactly what happened. LOTS of options nowadays, which is great.

I do agree with Molan, a second hand rig off here will save you money and you will essentially get more.

This is the combo I recommended:

[url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mbCombos.html"]http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mbCombos.html[/url]

They have the 210 versions in the UK now. The difference is, the 212 combo (which is a 4 ohm combo) will sound bigger on its own, as its 12s and the full 500W is going into the internal speakers. With the 210 (which is an 8 ohm combo) version, you can add another 210 cabinet down the line.

Personally, I think the 212 is a really good option if you are going for a new item, but as yet they are not on UK websites, so id suggest contacting a store like the Bass Merchant and asking for dates on release. The 210 combo is out now here: [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gallien-krueger-mb-210-bass-guitar-amp-combo--70248"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gallien-krueg...mp-combo--70248[/url]

If I were going for a decent manufacturer with a good value for money factor with great tone, it would be GK. The Peavey cab will be built like a tank, and weigh like one. I wouldnt worry about the specs so much. I used to own a Peavey 4x10 and they do push some air, but they arent that great IMO.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Rachel' post='838785' date='May 16 2010, 12:34 PM']Argh! Ok, so I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I don't know...

The rig posted by Molan

HELP! What's the best do we think? I am delighted and but totally out of my depth with these options![/quote]

The RB1001 is apparently really good..tons of headroom. I know JTUK had SWR cabs so he might be able to help with them.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='838806' date='May 16 2010, 12:58 PM']I wouldnt worry about the specs so much. I used to own a Peavey 4x10 and they do push some air, but they arent that great IMO.[/quote]

This.
There are meaningful specs, but most cabs don't come with them. Frequency response quoted from manufacturers is usually useless, and watts power handling is also of very limited use in bass applications. Hearing the cabs at volume is the way forward. If that's not possible, then researching the actual loudspeaker drivers loaded into cabs is much more informative but requires a rather geeky mindset and is time-consuming. Fortunately for you, there are plenty of people here who've done the work for you and the more experienced people's suggestions will all be competent performers rather than mutton dressed as lamb.

The issue then is what kind of sound you're after - what genre(s) of music do you play and are there any famous players/records whose sound is close to what you're after from your musicman?

EDIT: Plus, how are you sorted for roadies and vans? Is weight/size an issue?

Edited by LawrenceH

Hi Lawerence
I'm after a nice smooth, full and sexy sound - I also want it to pack a punch and remind people of my presence! I play with my fingers and styles vary but mostly I would say rock. Generally I play in a three piece so I need a good 'full' sound so that levels don't drop during guitar solos (we don't have a rhythm player).
As far as roadies go, there aren't any. I'm a 5'7'' but slightly built woman... I'm not amazingly strong but can lift things with others (at the moment I'm playing with a Marshall Bass state 150w, which is incredibly heavy for the power it produces [39kg] - my hubby can lift it by himself, but he doesn't come to all gigs and the singer and I have to lift it together) so something lighter would be beneficial!
Am still umming and aahing over my options... !

I like the idea of the rig with the 2x12 and 2x10 cabs, but will they give me the sound I'm after? Also, what are SWR and Warwick like? I have no idea! Still feeling like a 4x10 is the way forward...

[quote name='Rachel' post='838896' date='May 16 2010, 03:08 PM']Hi Lawerence
I'm after a nice smooth, full and sexy sound - I also want it to pack a punch and remind people of my presence! I play with my fingers and styles vary but mostly I would say rock. Generally I play in a three piece so I need a good 'full' sound so that levels don't drop during guitar solos (we don't have a rhythm player).
As far as roadies go, there aren't any. I'm a 5'7'' but slightly built woman... I'm not amazingly strong but can lift things with others (at the moment I'm playing with a Marshall Bass state 150w, which is incredibly heavy for the power it produces [39kg] - my hubby can lift it by himself, but he doesn't come to all gigs and the singer and I have to lift it together) so something lighter would be beneficial!
Am still umming and aahing over my options... !

I like the idea of the rig with the 2x12 and 2x10 cabs, but will they give me the sound I'm after? Also, what are SWR and Warwick like? I have no idea! Still feeling like a 4x10 is the way forward...[/quote]

A 2x12 will ALMOST cover the sound of a 4x10. If its fairly high end 2x12, it will be much better than the Peavey 4x10.

Two quality 2x10s will bury the Peavey....without a doubt. The GK 2x10 combo plus a 2x10 cab would be massively loud! Plus no doubt the GK internals are a better spec cf to the Peavey. I like 4x10s but I barely use my Orange one due to its size and weight. It sounds massive, but it only comes out for venues where I have good transport to and from, (and the venue is large enough).

Edited by Musicman20

Hi Musicman20!
That's useful... So, *deep breath* do you think my best bet would be to go for the RB1001 GK head with the 212 and 210 SWR Working Pro Cabs? It's been offered at £700...
From what people have said, I'm guessing that perhaps the 212 would be adequate for smaller pub gigs and then the two together would be even better than a 4x10 for bigger venues..?

[quote name='Rachel' post='838906' date='May 16 2010, 03:19 PM']Hi Musicman20!
That's useful... So, *deep breath* do you think my best bet would be to go for the RB1001 GK head with the 212 and 210 SWR Working Pro Cabs? It's been offered at £700...
From what people have said, I'm guessing that perhaps the 212 would be adequate for smaller pub gigs and then the two together would be even better than a 4x10 for bigger venues..?[/quote]

Hi

Is it the 1001RB-II? I know they always get a lot of praise....have they supplied pictures?

Some 2x12 + 2x10 cabs work together pretty well, I found this out with my TC Rig.

A 2x12 plus a 2x10 from SWR would, Im pretty sure, be pretty damn huge sounding and would move more air than the Peavey...plus you would have the option of taking one like you said. But id check which era they are from and what wattage they can handle....the 2x10 Workingman Pro ive seen on the SWR site is only 200W rated, and that 1001RB-II is capable of some serious volume.

Hmm...cab choice is the difficult one here.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='838950' date='May 16 2010, 04:07 PM']Hi

Is it the 1001RB-II? I know they always get a lot of praise....have they supplied pictures?

Some 2x12 + 2x10 cabs work together pretty well, I found this out with my TC Rig.

A 2x12 plus a 2x10 from SWR would, Im pretty sure, be pretty damn huge sounding and would move more air than the Peavey...plus you would have the option of taking one like you said. But id check which era they are from and what wattage they can handle....the 2x10 Workingman Pro ive seen on the SWR site is only 200W rated, and that 1001RB-II is capable of some serious volume.

Hmm...cab choice is the difficult one here.[/quote]

Think you've hit the nail on the head...
I don't think it is the 1001RB-II, just the 1001 RB. And I think the cabs are quite old as when I tried to find the 2x12s, they were under a 'vintage'heading - discontinued...
See, I like the initial GK head I looked at, that was the 700 RB-II model, brand new, £505. It's just hard trying to find a decent cab to go with it that won't break the bank or my back!!

[quote name='Rachel' post='838957' date='May 16 2010, 04:23 PM']Think you've hit the nail on the head...
I don't think it is the 1001RB-II, just the 1001 RB. And I think the cabs are quite old as when I tried to find the 2x12s, they were under a 'vintage'heading - discontinued...
See, I like the initial GK head I looked at, that was the 700 RB-II model, brand new, £505. It's just hard trying to find a decent cab to go with it that won't break the bank or my back!![/quote]

Id recommend to stick with the latest models, but thats just me.

Hmmm, you could go with a new GK amp head like the 700 RB-II, or indeed their new version of the lightweight amp, the MB500 (tiny little thing, very loud). The latest version of that is just called the MB500, without the '2' in it. Approx £500 or less for than amp. The MB500 is the amp inside the combos I listed above.

Then you could buy one second hand cab....or indeed one new cab perhaps, and if you wanted to, get another down the line.

Hmm, i bet there are a fair few actually in the for sale bit in here. There was a 10001RB-II for sale really cheap a few weeks ago.

Take your time with it...its a buyers market :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='838962' date='May 16 2010, 04:29 PM']Id recommend to stick with the latest models, but thats just me.

Hmmm, you could go with a new GK amp head like the 700 RB-II, or indeed their new version of the lightweight amp, the MB500 (tiny little thing, very loud). The latest version of that is just called the MB500, without the '2' in it. Approx £500 or less for than amp. The MB500 is the amp inside the combos I listed above.

Then you could buy one second hand cab....or indeed one new cab perhaps, and if you wanted to, get another down the line.

Hmm, i bet there are a fair few actually in the for sale bit in here. There was a 10001RB-II for sale really cheap a few weeks ago.

Take your time with it...its a buyers market :)[/quote]

Thanks buddy - I will! :rolleyes:

I think that Warwick rig looks a very good buy..but I haven't got to move it.

I always used SWR Goliath cabs and not the cheaper Workingmans range...so would expect those to be less powerful as they are a cheaper version.
If the 2x10 isn't more than 200watts, then that put a dampner on things there..but that 2x12 will move big air...
If they are a matched set ( those cabs ), then they may be a decent option. and I would expect a 2x12 and 2x10 to sound big.

As for moving the stuff... the Warwick rig has a big 15...which will probably weigh in the same as a 2x12..or thereabouts

As for quality, I think the Warwick and those SWR cabs are about the same. If the SWR cabs were Goliaths, then SWR would win out..maybe..

Two separate smaller cabs would definitely be my preference, perhaps ideally a 1x15" and a 2X10", a very standard set-up. Don't get too worried about individual driver sizes, except to note that whichever configuration you go for you want a decent overall driver surface area, and you want it to fit in your car. Of course, a 4x10 will do the same job as two separate 2x10s that took up the same amount of room overall and used the equivalent drivers - but you don't have to use both for every gig, it's easier to move two small boxes than one big one, and you can stack them in a tall thin line on stage which does have performance advantages (a square is a rubbish way of arranging speaker drivers).
Secondhand is definitely the way to get more for your money. I'd say those SWR would give you a good, full, versatile rock tone. But go and try some kit out - maybe some people on here who're near you would be willing to help out in that regard, I've found basschat a helpful place. Perhaps buy a single 8ohm cab to start with (say, 1x15" Barefaced Compact. About as loud and deep a 15" cab as you'll find on the market, and light weight too), with the intention of adding to it if you find it necessary and funds allow. Be wary of trying cabs at low volume. They may sound nice when they're quiet but totally run out of extension at gig volume. Compacts pop up in the used section on here. Or this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85827"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85827[/url]

Which is a steal of a price because the brand isn't that well known...but it will be a LOT better than anything new close to that price.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='839339' date='May 16 2010, 10:28 PM']Or this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85827"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85827[/url]

Which is a steal of a price because the brand isn't that well known...but it will be a LOT better than anything new close to that price.[/quote]

Great cab - incredibly cheap!

Thanks guys - that does look good! And a great price, too.
This is what I found last night, I think it looks pretty sweet, what do you lot think?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78972"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78972[/url]

Cheers x

[quote name='Rachel' post='839494' date='May 17 2010, 09:03 AM']Thanks guys - that does look good! And a great price, too.
This is what I found last night, I think it looks pretty sweet, what do you lot think?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78972"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78972[/url]

Cheers x[/quote]

Another good 'does everything' kinda cab. I guess that's the beauty of 12's these days, plenty of low end without losing mids.

Personally I've always thought Eden cabs look really cool with those gold coloured tweeters, lol.

Definitely a pro piece of kit (which comes with the usual weight problems - at 78lbs it's a substantial lift - nothing like the XLT4x10 I had which was a frightening 98lbs!).

Eden heads are very nice as well if you want a 'matching' pair. The World Tour heads often come up for sale at reasonable prices :)

It's lighter than what I'm using at the moment, so that's good!

Am very tempted by the 2x12... I think it seems like a good halfway house between the 15 and 10s, plus it seems like a good brand AND it isn't too heavy... unless that Dr BAss one has a major plus point that I haven't considered (apart from the price, obv!)...

Think I need to buy something fairly soon as I'm driving my husband mental...