Why become a member? ×

What can i do about this?

I got the power tubes replaced in my amp at a very heafty £67 for the pair plus biasing and now literally about 2 months later, one of the tubes has gone again! Before you say it i always leave it on for a minute in standby mode before and after i use it and it doesn't get moved around at all so i've certainly not been abusing it or anything like that whatsoever. I find this pretty unbelievable to be perfectly honest. I'm certainly not going to trust anyone else with replacing my tubes from now on but i am wondering if there is anything i can do about it or will i just have to say goodbye to the £70 that's now gone on nothing?

[quote name='Dubs' post='836199' date='May 13 2010, 02:29 PM']Did you get it done by a professional tech/shop, or did you DIY it? If you paid for the work to be done then take it back and see what they say...[/quote]

I took it to a "shop" and by shop i mean some place owned by some old bloke with a moustache. I suppose i should take it back to the shop but i don't know if there is any point if i'm not going to be able to get my money back.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='836212' date='May 13 2010, 02:41 PM']I took it to a "shop" and by shop i mean some place owned by some old bloke with a moustache. I suppose i should take it back to the shop but i don't know if there is any point if i'm not going to be able to get my money back.[/quote]

Just take it back and ask him to have a look at it. It may be a simple fix that he'll be happy to do for free. Has one of the valves definitely gone or could it be something else?

When you say 'gone' - what do you mean?

There's three possible factors here:

1). Faulty valve - possible. Depends on where they were sourced from and what testing was done
2). Faulty or incorrectly adjusted amplifier. What the bias set correctly (if applicable). If so, then it could be a failing part in the amp is supplying a wildly incorrect voltage at one point in the valve and that's enough to cause issues.
3). Misuse. You've largely ruled this out, but be warned that's how they'll try to get you.

I'd talk to the shop, very friendly but be armed with all the relevant information - keep it factual and pleasant and you MIGHT find they will replace the valve in question or at least take a look. Any decent amplifier technician will be able to carry out the required tests.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Dubs' post='836216' date='May 13 2010, 02:44 PM']Just take it back and ask him to have a look at it. It may be a simple fix that he'll be happy to do for free. Has one of the valves definitely gone or could it be something else?[/quote]

Well having had a look at the tubes i notice that something is rattling around inside one of them so i am assuming that this must be the issue. It could be the biasing that's the issue in which case it's also his fault because he said he would bias them too. As i say i have not abused this amp whatsoever. It's just been sat in my room for the past couple of months playing through a few recordings for a couple of hours a day. That's it.

Edited by EdwardHimself

If something is rattling around *inside* the valve then the first port of call will be getting a warranty replacement as it is blatantly faulty. Then if their biasing has broken your amp, then they are liable for sorting that out as well surely?

[quote name='dood' post='838370' date='May 15 2010, 07:41 PM']If something is rattling around *inside* the valve then the first port of call will be getting a warranty replacement as it is blatantly faulty. Then if their biasing has broken your amp, then they are liable for sorting that out as well surely?[/quote]

I think i'll have to take it back to the shop at some point soon.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='841456' date='May 18 2010, 10:04 PM']What make were the replacement valves? They aren't all created equal, and there seem to be some 'nameless' types finding their way onto ebay from China. If you get a choice, JJs are my favourite current manufactured valve.[/quote]

I got some peavey valves. The amp still didn't work after i put them in but inexplicably it seems to be working just fine now! I really don't get it. Maybe a bad solder join or something?