Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt 1x15 cab,sound?

Anders

Has anyone tried a Hiwatt se115 with Celestion or Fane speaker?
I bought an Orange OBC115 and really like the rocksound with my Orange AD200MK1.
But it farts out at a little more than half the volume.
So,the guy at the store is offering me alternatives and can offer Hiwatt a cab.

Anyone?

How about adding another cab? Best way to get the sound you like but with more volume. Otherwise check out the Barefaced Compact / Big One, they can take lots of power before fartage sets in. Let me know if you want to sell the OBC115!

Edited by dannybuoy

I don't know the newer Hiwatt stuff, but their cabs used to notoriouslu underpowered, IME.

And there is no way a 200 watt valve amp should overpower a decent 15" speaker, IMO.
Are the speakers original, would you know.?

How much are you turning the gain up? Ive used the OBC115 with the Orange amp and it was very very loud, filled the room. I wouldnt turn it up too loud though, as its a valve amp and can hit very high volumes.

I think you may need another OBC115. Ive not actually seen anyone using the Hiwatts, and they are VERY expensive.

The OBC 115 is rated 400 watt, so I doubt you could over power it with AD200 at half volume.

I agree that you'd get more out of it with a second cab. And if I was you the only cab I'd want to change to is one of the better 1x15 ampegs or a barefaced compact.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='835772' date='May 13 2010, 12:14 AM']How about adding another cab? Best way to get the sound you like but with more volume. Otherwise check out the Barefaced Compact / Big One, they can take lots of power before fartage sets in. Let me know if you want to sell the OBC115![/quote]
I'm still going to get what i payed from the store,but I have to buy something else from them or ofcourse keep the orange 1x15.So,no refund.

I'm looking for a big cab (2x15) and a small cab.This Orange cab was supposed to be the small cab and if not,the hiwatt/markbass?/EBS classic,or whatever they have in the store.That rules out the barefaced because they don't have that.

The thing is,i really like the sound of that orange cab but it can't take more than 150w.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Have any of you tried the Orange AD200MK3(the current one) and a OBC115 cab?
Even with that amp you get earlier distortion with the OBC115 than the OBC410.
I have the MK1 wich is 200w or very close.The MK3 is not producing 200w.Maybe 150w.
That's the whole thing.
I was in the store,they had the MK3 head obc115 and obc410.I tried the 1x15 with that head,there was only a little distortion at 2/3 of the output(before breakup).Sounded fine,so i bought the cab.
Then, when i tried the cab with my MK1 head in the studio it went brrrrrrrr at little over half the volume.
There is very little distortion from that head.With a 500w 2x12 i can turn it up to 3 o'clock on gain and volume.
I'm not making this up but the OBC115 bottoms out from a 200w amp,yes.
Even the guy in the store confessed-you are not meant to run that cab alone with any orange AD200 head.

My guess is that ,as the MK3 head is made to break up early,the obc115 will help giving distortion.
But it doesn't fit the older MK1 heads apparently.

Is the Hiwatt custom cabs avaliable in stores in UK,or is it just very few used ones occationally?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='835827' date='May 13 2010, 01:16 AM']The OBC 115 is rated 400 watt, so I doubt you could over power it with AD200 at half volume.

I agree that you'd get more out of it with a second cab. And if I was you the only cab I'd want to change to is one of the better 1x15 ampegs or a barefaced compact.[/quote]

I can see the weight benefits with the BF Compact but he will lose a little clarity with that. The OBC has a magical amount of top end for a 1x15. I've mentioned the Tom Bowlus test before, and that's why I ended up getting one. If Tom Bowlus gives it a thumbs up, it's got to be good!

The Ampeg would not handle the wattage/power of the amp. I would almost definitely say the Ampeg 1x15 is a step down in quality. I knew the speaker within the Orange, but I've completely forgotten now!

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt15e/index.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt15e/index.html[/url]

200W rating and heavier! I did a lot of research with the Ampeg vs Orange debate and after numerous tests, the British build, weight (ok it's still heavy, but overall it's less) warranty, customer service, style, grind, warmth, portability, the Orange ticked all the boxes.

Sorry I don't mean to stamp on your ideas, just saying I've been there done that, and the Orange is up there with the Bag Ends in terms of all time great 15s.

[quote name='Anders' post='835834' date='May 13 2010, 01:55 AM']Thanks for the replies guys.
Have any of you tried the Orange AD200MK3(the current one) and a OBC115 cab?
Even with that amp you get earlier distortion with the OBC115 than the OBC410.
I have the MK1 wich is 200w or very close.The MK3 is not producing 200w.Maybe 150w.
That's the whole thing.
I was in the store,they had the MK3 head obc115 and obc410.I tried the 1x15 with that head,there was only a little distortion at 2/3 of the output(before breakup).Sounded fine,so i bought the cab.
Then, when i tried the cab with my MK1 head in the studio it went brrrrrrrr at little over half the volume.
There is very little distortion from that head.With a 500w 2x12 i can turn it up to 3 o'clock on gain and volume.
I'm not making this up but the OBC115 bottoms out from a 200w amp,yes.
Even the guy in the store confessed-you are not meant to run that cab alone with any orange AD200 head.

My guess is that ,as the MK3 head is made to break up early,the obc115 will help giving distortion.
But it doesn't fit the older MK1 heads apparently.

Is the Hiwatt custom cabs avaliable in stores in UK,or is it just very few used ones occationally?[/quote]

Hi Anders

We have had a few PMs about the Orange gear in the past.

I have used the OBC1x15 on its own for a rehearsal or two, (at LOUD volumes) and the 1x15 sounded awesome. It filled the room and provided a brilliant low end. Sure, I was careful with the volume levels, as despite the fact the AD200b Mk3 is rated as 200W (less apparently) it is very very loud. It would eat most the micro amps Ive tested/owned alive just because of the sheer grunt of the tubes.

Bear in mind I liked to have a slightly dirty tone, so the gain on the amp was on about halfway. Apparently the Mk3 is meant to break up a little earlier as its really suited to those who like a dirty rock n roll tone, but Ive heard of plenty of bassists using it totally clean.

Ive not had any problems with the OBC115 on its own. My worry is that the amp is very powerful to power ANY 1x15 at those levels. Its just a case of being careful with the volumes.

I asked Orange about using the OBC115 on its own, and they agreed, just be careful. Its fine, but dont drive the amp right up. Every single 1x15 cab will struggle with that amp going for it at high levels.

THe OBC410 just laughs it off and handles the lot, but its 4 drivers and they can withstand more overall wattage.

Personally, Id double check the OBC115 you own and make sure its all healthy inside....maybe get them to order you a new one in. Its odd that instore there were no problems with the Mk3 amp.

The Markbass wont sound right with it. I dont think the Hiwatt would be worth that extra money....they are overpriced IMO. You arent getting anything else really with it.

I have sometimes thought my Orange rig is too large for my needs, and had thoughts of selling, but then I come to my senses. I really like what it does and how it sounds....

Here is the Tom Bowlus 1x15 shootout:

[url="http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/1x15-shootout.html"]http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/1x15-shootout.html[/url]

"Orange OBC-115 - This cab was a bit of a surprise, as I had mostly just played it with the matching 4x10 and the AD200 head. I was really amazed at what a great stand alone cab it makes. Very full, very strong, very tight low B. Great articulation and growl on the low B. Not quite as full on the low B as the HT115, but closer than any other cab, and more articulate and controlled. I found myself just pounding away on the low B for the sheer joy of it. On the E-A strings, it was again not quite as full as the HT115 (and not as close as it was on the low :), and again more aggressive and articulate than the Berg. There is no tweeter (and no tweeter sheen), but it offers very impressive high end information, all things considered. It is not as dark sounding as the newer Trace cab, but more balanced, more articulate, and more powerful. On the whole, the competitor that most closely matches its performance is the older Trace 1153."

Thanks Musicman20.
Yes,the OBC115 is supposed to have an Eminence Kappa inside.Eventhough a few apparently have found an Eminence Delta when they actually looked inside.(The Delta has a warmer more even respons but it's not cabable to handle as many watts as the Kappa in the bassregion when used in the obc115 box).
I haven't looked inside mine because then it would probarbly be seen as used,by the store.

Also,i agree as you said,the AD200MK3 head and OBC115 is supposed to break up,they are a perfect match and the cab is helping to get the more distorted sound you from that head.
But,my AD200MK1 head doesn't distort when breaking up,it bludders(i don't know the word in English)it sounds brrrrr,not bzzzz,so to speak and it has alot more headroom than MK3.
The sound i get with the OBC115 is Bdddddd(sounds terrible).
I'm looking for more clean sound anyway and i'm really happy with the MK1 head.

I have read the Tom Bowlus tests,thanks for posting them.

The Markbass is just a longshot,the store-guy offered to bring it to the store for a try.I'll see when i try it.

Hiwatt overpriced,yes i would say so,they want about twice the money compared to the Orange,so it better be good!(A box with one speaker) :rolleyes:
But i don't care that much.If it's good enough i won't be selling it and buying other stuff,then it's worth it.

Oh,and about Ampeg svt15en,i already have one.It doesn't sound Orange with the orange head,it sounds Ampeg.But works perfectly with my Ampeg v4bh head.

In the end i will probarbly have to settle with the lower volume and keep the obc115,or get a new one from the store.

I'm kind of surprised though that noone has tried orange head with Hiwatt cabs even in a store in it's homeland. :)