Why become a member? ×

Which micro head is closest to Ashdown ABM tone?

Bigwan

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of swapping out one of my Ashdown ABM heads for something that'll fit in my gig-bag pocket. I'm really happy with the sound of the ABM (both of mine are from the original Klystron Magnifier series, made in UK, pre-EVO - solid as a rock stuff) so I'm looking for recommendations of what would get me closest to that sound without adding a pedal up front. I usually have the EQ off, shape on, valve/solid dial about half way, gain so the signal is just into the red on the VU and volume to taste. Probably combine whatever head I decide on with an Aguilar GS112 for rehearsals/small gigs and/or my tasty Tech Soundsystems 4x12 for bigger stuff.

My initial thought is Orange Terror Bass 500, but it won't fit in the gig-bag...

Cheers!

Ian

Well the orange is very light and has it's own gig bag.

If money is no option a shuttle 9.0 should be good. Otherwise ashdown LGs and the superfly are pretty tiny but i doubt they'll have the typical transparant valve pre amp sound, and if that was me I'd put either the para driver or the bass driver infront of it, or even the VT bass pedal, but you don't want pedals.

I was on the same quest for the last few months.
The LG's don't sound anything like Ashdowns other amps, they're not meant to, no tube preamps.
Same thing with the LMK II's and even the new III Tube, its a warm tube, not a grind tube. Shuttles also have a preamp valve...but again, it's warmth...not grind.

My Ashdown EVO II is warmth and grind all built into one....beautiful amp, and I found the Orange to be the closest to it toneally than all the others. No it doesn't fit into a gig bag pocket, but it is tiny and light, with a bag to carry it in.
The Ashdown has more scope with it's EQ, but I actually think the Orange is louder....it's neither here or there really, but just saying. I still use both amps, they have applications that each of them suit. A lot of the time I just take both...good to have spares :)

Si

[quote name='Bigwan' post='836018' date='May 13 2010, 11:32 AM']With a pedal was my first thought (as was the VT!), but wondered if there were any that could do it without.[/quote]

I think Orange Bass Terror, LM2/3 with pedal, or TC RH450.

The TC is expensive but believe me it can do very clean and clear/slight tube grit/full on grit and it is very warm and versatile.

The terror is about the grindiest tube class-d going. i tried the shuttle and new markbass rock thingy and both seemed more valve warmth than valve grind ( as stated above).

I second the idea of a straight class-d amp with a valve pedal. i find my LG1000 to be quiet and clean on it's own, but putting a valve overdrive or valve compressor in the effects loop suddenly allows you to get the full 1000w out of the power section with whatever flavour grind or warmth you want, and i'm still a few hundred quid up on any class-d amp with a valve built in to it.

Hope some of that's useful,

Rich

[quote name='Musicman20' post='836049' date='May 13 2010, 12:05 PM']I think Orange Bass Terror, LM2/3 with pedal, or TC RH450.

The TC is expensive but believe me it can do very clean and clear/slight tube grit/full on grit and it is very warm and versatile.[/quote]

The RH450 ticks all the boxes, but the price is a BIG stumbling block. You could buy a new Bass Terror AND a new LMIII for the same price as the RH450 and footcontroller new. I probably don't need all that flexibility either - I'm a bit set and forget!

All the suggestions I've had here (and over on TB) so far have been for amps I've already considered myself - I came to the conclusion that if the Orange could do clean (ish!) at a reasonable volume then it'd be pretty perfect, otherwise it'd be either an LMII/III (or F1) with a VT pedal.

I still think the Orange is the winner myself (other than the size, but that's not a big deal really - the cute little carry case means you can put it over the shoulder rather than in the gigbag pocket) and it's stupid loud by all accounts - too much dirt may be the only problem, but then I could do a bit of valve swapping to ease that a bit.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='836116' date='May 13 2010, 01:14 PM']The RH450 ticks all the boxes, but the price is a BIG stumbling block. You could buy a new Bass Terror AND a new LMIII for the same price as the RH450 and footcontroller new. I probably don't need all that flexibility either - I'm a bit set and forget!

All the suggestions I've had here (and over on TB) so far have been for amps I've already considered myself - I came to the conclusion that if the Orange could do clean (ish!) at a reasonable volume then it'd be pretty perfect, otherwise it'd be either an LMII/III (or F1) with a VT pedal.

I still think the Orange is the winner myself (other than the size, but that's not a big deal really - the cute little carry case means you can put it over the shoulder rather than in the gigbag pocket) and it's stupid loud by all accounts - too much dirt may be the only problem, but then I could do a bit of valve swapping to ease that a bit.[/quote]

I think for your needs the Bass Terror is win/win. After a while you could change the valves to get a cleaner sound, but it does still do a high level of clean, just watch the gain.

It is STUPID light; I went to Orange HQ near London to test them out as well as the Dual Terror, and it was really good, especially for the price. Weight will not be an issue, and the amp bag will make all the difference. Just make sure its not on a cab that will shake it off.

There is also the 1000 watt version which will give that but extra clean head room, but the 500w is still stupid loud and very clean. Just today I've broken a few more light fittings, and I keep it just touching dirt, but still very clean.